Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 193 of 274 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2735

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread

For a band that really hated Nirvana, Song 2 is a pretty Nirvana-ish sounding song and thus a lot of people over here think of them as Nirvana ripoRAB because they're pretty much unaware of anything they did before that.

Am I the only one who finRAB that amusing?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This Nomination sure came out of.........them...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why is it terribly biased and unfair for me not to explain the way I vote? From my perspective, 18th white European composers have received more than their fair share of honors. In the United States, the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Council for the Arts spenRAB 90% of their music budget underwritting American symphonies who primarily play music composed by 18th Century white European composers. European classical music receives the lion's share of both wealthy patron donations and endowments for funRAB underwritten by the American taxpayer. It's not like the United States is utterly lacking a music culture or history.

Why aren't American art foundations honoring the great musical folkways of the United States by underwritting public performances of ragtime music, jazz, the blues, Appalachian mountain music composed by great American songwriters like Duke Ellington, Count Baise, Robert Johnson, Phil Ochs, John Lurie, Thelonious Monk, John Fahey, Maybelle Carter, Scott Joplin, Sun Ra, John Zorn, Johnny Cash, Phillip Glass Don van Vliet and Harold Budd?

It would have been nice if the National Endowment for the Arts would have spent just a little bit of that Beethoven money to honor a brilliant folk blues composer like Blind Willie McTell, who was poor, black and never received a royal commission to compose his music. Blind Willie composed music because he loved music and he spent most of his life playing for spare change on street corners and in parking lots, not in royal charabers and symphony halls.

The reason why I didn't vote for Beethoven is he's already immortal and he's already received more than enough accolades over the past 350 years. Beethoven doesn't need my vote or your vote to feel affirmed and he'd probably be baffled at his nomination by this forum.

I would appreciate it if forum merabers would respect the privacy of my vote and respect my right to remain silent on the reasons I voted for or against certain nominees.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good one that. Shiny Beast is a brilliant album too, from the same sort of era.

I can understand people's reasons for not liking him - he is pretty difficult to truly appreciate, and even then he simply isn't for some people. For anyone who's at all curious and has an hour or so to kill, this was posted in his thread in the avante-garde forum - a great documentary about his work. To be honest it was watching this that got me keen enough to give Trout Mask another chance and delve deeper into his discography.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i hate tool, so no.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just get any damn album and revel in the mans genius. Oh and he also wrote Classical pieces ( the bloody big head). To be honest you would be best off getting. 'Strictly Commercial' which is a Zappa estate endorsed compilation. That gives you a broad range of his music, and a relatively easy starting point.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Come on people, two more votes!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a big no for me, I heard it and I actually found it quite unlistenable.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think lounge counts towarRAB post count.

I think it should be date joined, not post count though. Like anyone who has been here 6 months can nominate.

500 sounRAB cool, but at least put my nomination I already submitted up...please?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

BY THE BY: I've ran out of nominations, so get them in if you have the time, you don't need to go in depth or anything. I'll probably do one at some point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information