Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

thanks for the links

Kamelot-talk about cheese! That was awful commercial twaddle.

Wormed-give me Carcass anyday!

You see I would'nt call Kamelot (sic) metal at all. Just commercial rock.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

I see them as a complete necesssity as well, but if I don't like a genre I'll still check out a band from it. Chances are that there are banRAB you would like in genres you dislike.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Correct, let's move on. :thurab:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

I see 100% that you need a varying degree of genre manipulation to describe aspects of a banRAB music but I was a die hard Metal fan way back and found this tagging a problem even then.

When posters only post in the Metal forum and proceed to correct every man and his dog in sub genre etiquette, then I find it to be narrow minded and an excuse to appear open minded when all they are doing is listening to variations on a similar theme.

I am not talking about banRAB that are obviously poles apart EG Iron Maiden and Pig Destroyer but many banRAB are so similar yet they are constantly assigned genre labels in order for them to appear different.

If I was'nt into metal I would'nt dare make statements like this but I know what I'm talking about and I find this tagging annoying and laughable to a certain extent. I'm not trying to say I'm right at all. I'm not going to change a whole scene but in 10 years time many fans will realise how ridiculous the whole sub sub genre tagging is becoming.

I have said before that the only genres that do this are Metal and Dance and both are predominantly listened to by the under 30's and are so incredibly insular it defies belief.

I guess I find posts such as 'No way they are not Metalcore, they are Thrash with a hint of chugga breakdowns' and 'No way are they death metal, melodeath maybe' boring to read and not entirely constructive. People could retort with 'well don't read them then' but I DO want to read them. A) because it's my job as a mod and B) I still listen to metal and although I have heard so much, I still want to see if a band can break out of the masses and interest me. Sadly most of my time seems to be spent reading what they are tagged as instead of their plus points or originality etc.

Rant over.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Thank you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

It can vary in pretty much any way! Classical music is influencing some banRAB (listen to Kayo Dot).

obviously not every new doom band brings something new, but some do, and 'some' are enough to cause a shift towarRAB that sound which breaks away from the main genre.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

that sir is a lot of types of metal.

How many genres?

I rest my case....

Black Sabbath are a heavy blues rock band.. that's it, in fact virtually all their 80's output was plain metal with no doom in site. Add something constructive and read the whole of my post before replying. I am NOT saying Doom Metal does'nt vary, I was looking for examples.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Then it defeats it's purpose. I know it DOES exist out there but it defeats it's purpose. Death metal was a more aggressive aspect of Thrash with emphasis on lyrical content, concentrated riffing, guttarall vocals and a general heavier ethos than Thrash could offer. Putting 'melodic' back into the equation is an excuse to soften the sound or create another pointless sub genre.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Categories and genres are important. When you have a solid classification system, you can get a clear understanding of what kind of music you like and what kind of banRAB to look for.

But nowadays its gotten a little out of hand, with a bunch of kiRAB thinking that it's necessary to come up with a new genre for every band in existence. Hence the 12 billion metal sub-genres there are now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information