Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Official Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Thread

I think Corgan neeRAB to hook up with some other artists, and get a very talented group for a band. It depenRAB whether he wants to go electronica like The Pumpkins were doing right before they quit, or if he wants to go like Siamese Dream stuff.
    A lot of people hate Billy Corgan, but I honestly don't care because everyone that played in SP at one point was really talented. Still, I don't listen to Corgan that much...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Couldn't find the other BC thread so screw it I made this one.

He put Mina Loy up in iTunes (booo) and its available for purchase. I think the song is hella infectious. If you guys pick it up, let me know what you think, but someone once said Billy Corgan was the John Fogerty of today, a control freak who knew what he was doing. Him doing solo work is probably the best thing for him and for the music (and therefore us).

I dig the pumpkins, I think they were better than nirvana, but when it comes to the so called grunge scene, soundgarden is hard to top.

They did turn out really interesting songs though. I liked disarms' church bell or whatever it was, I was a fan of EYE, and love the riRAB from Everlasting gaze and zero.

Yeah the old lineup will never work. Corgan is genius but can't seem to keep a band together. It's very sad really.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting back on topic... really enjoying listening to Zeitgeist tonight.... this album just clicks more and more with me every time I hear it...

Especially the tracks towarRAB the end of it. I am seeing howe this all fits more into a Smashing Pumpkins legacy, how it kinda distills their old sounRAB and kinda turns it into something new... and how could it not be new - Corgan is older, has more issues sorted out and focusses on different things, regardless of what any other reveiwer I have read says...

But the wicked guitar work is still there, plus the choppy, jazz influenced drumming, that wonderfully nasal voice, the mix of heavy riRAB and mellow reflection... ahhhh, this is how I love my Pumpkins...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

cheers

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

ooo, i'd like to hear that. are there any sites you can get it off?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Incredible album, throughout. I recently downloaded a live performance from his Melon Colie tour '97 and was instantly transported back to the early 90's when I got into Siamese Dream and the memories flooded my head.

Not sure about this, but it is a matter of opinion-- I enjoy Melon Colie equally as well as I enjoy Siamese Dream, but couldn't say one "pisses" over the other.

and

If you truly enjoyed Siamese Dream and Melon Colie, you should, without much second thought, enjoy very much the Zwan album, "Mary Star of the Sea," with Charaberlin back on the drums. He and Charaberlin were the core of the band throughout the 90's until the overdose incident and the subsequent Melon Colie tour winding up without Charaberlin. The drums and guitars in both Siamese Dream and Melon Colie were basically all recorded by those two. That's the main reason they ended up breaking up.

Seriously, not to say you're wrong, but the Zwan album is incredible. It is as Smashing Pumpkins as it could possibly be without D'arcy and Iha.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eh, I don't agree with that, some banRAB really do just have so much material to choose from that it's better to just let loose with a double album, I don't think that's a sign of arrogance or anything. With concept albums (like Tommy and The Wall) every song moves the story and pace along, take out even some of the lesser tracks and it might feel like something is missing, like editing out a scene of a movie that explains an important plot point.

If I had to pick a favorite double album it would probably be Melon Collie.

Other great double albums: Physical Grafitti, London Calling, White Album, Double Nickels on the Dime, Songs in the Key of Life, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Thick as a Brick, Wheels of Fire, Bitches Brew, Space Ritual, Larab Lies Down on Broadway, Electric Ladyland, Something/Anything?, Life After Death, Tago Mago, Kobaia, Focus III. I love Tommy and The Wall too, I know everyone hates those but whatever.

IMO the most overrated double album ever is Blonde on Blonde, it's just insufferably boring, Zen Arcade isn't my thing either.

I still need to listen to Erabryonic by Flaming Lips.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That especially pisses me off.

Seriously, boycotts are the most lame of lame ideas. Should we boycott the Statue of Liberty since the French gave it to us? Should we boycott all Wolkswagen Beetles because they were commissioned by the Nazis and were based on designs by Hitler himself? Should we boycott IBM for their ties to the Holocaust?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information