Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has the humor ever offended you?

god no. its a cartoon for pete sake.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

it doesnt bother me i been watching the simpson for a very long time. there are shows that are more violent, show more sex scenes and a lot of bad worRAB, and the news they show how they kill people and other bad things and they are complaining about the simpsons. and i know that sometimes it may be a little exagerate it but its just a show and people have the right to watch it or not.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never once been offended by this show, and I've been an avid fan for over ten years. I don't take it seriously, because I know that even though there are stereotypes, generalizations, etc., that the intentions behind them are normally in jest and aren't meant to be taken seriously. It's for entertainment purposes, and I mean, there are plenty of shows out there that can be so much worse. (This can be said for many of FOX's primetime shows! They're known for "pushing the envelope.") But to be realistic, some people will be offended by the jokes. That's just a given, which is practically same for about any show.

Facts of life: You can't please everyone, and not everyone's going to agree.

Ah, well. I still love the Simpsons. :love:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, do you think there would ever be a circumstance where the writers could take it too far?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, Homer being so irresponsible with firearms is supposed to, I think, be satirical commentary on the dangers and a warning about people who are irresponsible with firearms and how they shouldn't be trusted with them, :blah:, so I actually cheer it on. :smirk: I don't think I've ever been truly offended, but I will give a detached horrified/amused gasp to some of the things they say because it's just so...bold. :lol: It isn't trying to offend with a lot of the things it says, it's trying to satirize those who say those things seriously. That's what I love about it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't find it offensive. I find it funny. It's sometimes just making fun of stereotypes, not like purposely insulting people with it, but presenting the material in an exaggerated way expanding on the stereotypes. I think all those references to cultures outside U.S., be it Canadian, Chinese, English, Japanese....and so on....they weren't being racist and discriminatory to other cultures, they were in fact making fun of how U.S. would perceive other cultures sometimes. :lol:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a good question. For me personally, it's a double edged sword. For instance I love Apu. I'm Indian too, and it's one of the few times I "see myself" in pop culture. And a lot of the jokes are funny and very true.

But, it seems like we (Indians) are ones that people can get away with stereotyping the most. I'm not sure why.

I agree the Simpsons makes fun of a lot of races and religions, but mine seems to be the one targeted the most. And I wouldn't care, but there's already a lot of misconceptions of Hinduism and Indians out there.

It doesn't offend me, but it's sometimes a harsh reminder of where we stand in American culture.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah it was a few years when that episode aired, and so they changed the way that Mr. Burns says that.

I agree the writers are not afraid to take chances. It's like any other comedy show like Saturday Night Live or Mad TV or any sketch show were they make fun of famous people or at things going on in the world.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never been really offended, but I've seen a lot of stuff that might have offended me had it been on another show. I don't know why. I guess I just like the Simpsons that way -- the writers aren't afraid to take chances with their jokes and whatnot.

I don't remeraber that, but I don't think I would have been offended. The Simpsons actually make quite a few racial jokes and they don't usually bother me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can see where it would offend some, but seriously people lets all grow up, the simpsons picks on EVERYTHING...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information