Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Matrix412

A Couple Of Questions

I have had acne since I have been 15 years old. I am now almost 21 and it seems like medicines and creams can only do so much. Sometimes they work a little, sometimes not at all, or sometimes they seem to work great at first and then stop doing its job. My question is what kind of creams or medications would anybody that has been through this problem of acne suggest? I only get it on my face, and rarely but sometimes on my back and upper shoulders. It is not as bad as it used to be, but it's still a bother.

Also there is a "myth" that I heard that shaving can cause breakouts. This makes sense because my acne problem started probably right after or around the time I started shaving. However, this theory doesn't make complete sence because it would not explain the acne on the forhead, nose, and other places I do not shave that break out. But if this has any truth to it, are their any razors/shaving cream suggested?

Thank You

almostclear7

A Couple Of Questions

Creams are oil based and won't do much in the long run. They can and do work over time the first time around. That is they did at least in my experience, but after about a year and a half they did nothing for me and I gradually lost most of the progress made. Creams/medications (topical) do not work as well as they could. I would switch to a gel version of some medication(topical) especially if you have oily skin. Either way always wear moisturizer with SPF.

As for shaving...if you have acne it's because of the hair follicle/bacteria/inability to shed the dead skin cells...so sure if your acne started occurring around the time you began shaving then this could have easily exacerbated the problem. I didn't get acne until I was 19. I had been shaving for a few years all ready so it didn't coincide with my acne.

Shaving can cause irritation to the skin/acne and it could be that the irritation brings the acne to the surface. In some cases (my biggest problem) when shaving you can pop a pimple and the puss/blood oozes out to the other areas of your face. When you try to dry it up with a towel/tissue it could bring in bacteria from the towel/tissue and make things worse as well.

For shaving...my suggestion is to buy a fragrance free shaving gel from Edge or something. Be sure to clean you razorblade or electric shaver face with alcohol or soap or something to disinfect it at least once a week and make sure to get the alcohol/soap off cleanly with water too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information