Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

TX WiFi network hotsync

Hope I'm not wearing out the group with all these questions, but Palm's support website and knowledge base re WiFi only provides help on the older PDA's and OS's. Not much help on WiFi in general, and there is zip/squat specifically for the new TX.

I can hotsync my TX with my main desktop PC (the one that has Palm Desktop 4.0 on it) no problem via USB. I can also surf the web with no problems using the TX via a WiFi connection to my wireless access point (a Linksys WRT54G combo router). While the WiFi connection on the TX is active, I can look at the DHCP Client Table in the router and see my TX in the client list of IP addresses currently issued by the router's DHCP server, along with the IP's of the other PC's on my LAN (there are four clients on the LAN, two wireless and two via 10/100 Ethernet). All of the PC's on the LAN can see each other, and can share files.

I have checked all the appropriate options in Hotsync Manager (LOCAL USB and NETWORK). I have been through the TX's rather simple WiFi hotsync setup in excruciating detail numerous times, but the TX cannot seem to create a WiFi network hotsync connection, even though it can see and use the WiFi network for surfing and email.

Is there an obvious hotsync step I'm missing here, while I still have a few strands of hair left?

Next step is trying to get help from Palm, but not sure I want to dive into that pool yet. If anybody's got some ideas I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

TX WiFi network hotsync

Which security protocol is your Linsksys using? I believe it's WEP is the only one you can use for hotsync - but I'm not at my wireless router today so I can't be sure.

Also, what is your firewall settings? You may have to enable the firewall (should) to recognize the device as hotsync capable wirelessly. Also, you might have to turn "file sharing" on the PC in order to sync wirelessly....

Once I'm back at my home - I can tell you but that's a couple of days....

TX WiFi network hotsync

Thanks, MooseMan. You turned on a light bulb re the firewall thing. As a result of your post I looked with great suspicion at my firewall rules/settings (I use AVG Professional 7.x), but HotSync was already listed as a "good guy" application, so that didn't seem to be the problem. Sratching my head, I turned OFF the firewall, and tried a network hotsync, which - surprise! - worked fine. Hmmm... So, figuring the firewall was obviously the guilty party but not yet knowing why, I turned the firewall back ON (without changing any firewall settings), tried another hotsync with the firewall active, and IT worked like a champ. Huh?? Since then I've tried several test network hotsyncs, and they work flawlessly (and SUPER fast compared to the USB cable) every time.

Can't explain this one , but if anyone else is having network hotsync problems maybe this "fix" will help. BTW, I most heartily recommend using hotsync via a WiFi network if you can. It's incredibly fast compared to the USB cable, and finally I'm completely wireless on the TX!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

TX WiFi network hotsync

I'm using WAP on my home network and the TX syncs fine via Wi-Fi.

As for the solution, it might have to do with the TX getting the name of the computer it is synching to when the firewall is turned off. At least on my setup, I originally entered the computer's local IP address, but after the first sync, it now show up as the computer's name in the drop down list.

Perhaps, once the TX is able to get that name, it no longer needs to utilize the network service that the firewall is blocking.

Not sure.

TX WiFi network hotsync

Good point. I never tried entering the local IP address instead of the desktop's network name. That likely would have fixed things. I did try the router's LAN side address, but of course that didn't fly. At any rate, it looks as if the key is to get them to talk just once, and after that they remember how to find each other you are off and running.

Re the WEP/WPA, the setup menus on the TX do offer both. I'm so far out in the woods and brambles, though, that I run my WiFi unprotected. I'm on a fairly large acreage, and it's 1/4 mile to the nearest public road. I doubt anybody's laptop will connect at that distance, especially since I have trouble talking to the other end of the house myself. And if they leave the road to come any closer, my two 150 lb dogs are themselves a pretty good firewall. It took me a year to convince the UPS guy it was ok to get out of his truck, and the mailman still won't.

TX WiFi network hotsync

I got my TX last Friday and I set up hotsync via cable when I installed the software and set up the Wi-FI last night. Seemed pretty simple really. I did forget to check the "Network" setting in the Hotsync on my PC, and once I did that it worked flawlessly. Got to the link:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...=PalmSupportKB

Enter solution ID 23591 (Setting up your device for Wi-Fi HotSync)

If you still have problems, look at solution ID 5570 (HotSync troubleshooting: Start here)

Hope this helps,
    John

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information