Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

t/X vs Pocket PC (Im a noob)

Hey guys, read some posts about buying a T/x and they were helpful, but since you guys seems pretty in to this stuff, surely you have tried the Pocket PC router at one time or another.

What are the advantages to one or the other?

I need the palm for the calendar/ address book mainly, but the wifi is something Im going to get because it just makes sense.

Also, I live in canada, but save money to buy it in the states when I am home for Christmas.

Where is the best place for accessories? Is there a difference in buying a charger/ case/ whatever on eBay as opposed to the stores?

Is the HardCase worth it?

What is the best screen protector?

My understanding is there are a lot of other things you can download as well that is freeware/ shareware...

I had an M500 that was a hand me down from my father, and it lasted about 6 weeks before the battery went totally kaput, so I haven't dabbled with them in a couple of years.

I know that is a lot of questions, just want to make sure i get the right stuff.... Any input you have is greatly appreciated !

THANKS!

It's been almost 3 years since I switched from Pocket PC to Palm. I am not very familiar with the latest version of Windows Mobile. However, some key points I have observed include the following:

1. Pocket PCs are able to multitask. Palm's primarily run 1 app at a time.

2. Palm devices running Documents To Go handle Microsoft Office documents better than Pocket Office on Pocket PC devices.

3. Pocket PC apps are memory hogs.

Here's an article " Palm vs. Pocket PC: which one is for you?"
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips...s_pocketpc.htm
    and "An In-Depth Look at Making the Switch from Palm to Pocket PC"
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/edit...m_to_PPC_1.htm

Thanks...

I tested them at Future Shop today and...

Palm TX ... same great palm features I have liked in the past. Has WiFi, but I really hate that WAP crap. Overall, great machine.

PocketPC (IPag 1950) - Windows interface is friendly, but the screen size was smaller and it felt more fragile to me than the palm did. The only big plus is the mobile explorer, it is a far superior browser than the wap crap.

If I had $500 to put into it, I might opt for a big time DELL, sicne I don't, looks like I'm going to get the TX. It will do what I need and more...

THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS!

WAP is a protocol, not a browser. I don't know what you're talking about there. It uses Blazer for a browser, doesn't it?

Anyway, good choice on the T|X -- there have been many positive reviews on it. Let us know how it goes

BTW, this isn't entirely accurate. PocketPCs are able to natively multitask. This means it's a standard part of most or every program there is for PocketPC. Palms can multitask, but only if the developer of a specific programs makes it possible to do so (eg.: RealPlayer for Palm playing music in the background).

pTunes is an application that can run in the background, so it can multi-task. But for me multi-tasking is no big deal since I can rerely do more than two things at a time anyway.... listen to music and one other thing.

Basically I multi-task the old fashioned way... one thing at a time. Love my T|X.

Cheers,
    John

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information