Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tx to Outlook 2003

Finally moved my Laptop life from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003, a huge move for me but have now had 1 months of Outlook and there is no looking back.

I tried to move from palm desktop for Tx to Outlook 2003 and had some issues

1] the Laptop has a huge email address book, of email addresses, this sync into my Tx and doubled the size of the contacts file which was un acceptable as it was just junk, and slowed the Tx even more than usual. [ i had a TC before and that was a rocketship]

2] my palm has many many re occurring dates for birthdays and anniv, this did not seem to merge well into Outlook 2003, and the re occuring did not seem to pass into Outlook 2003, so I lost confidence in Outlook and hurried back to Palm Desktop.

There must be a fit for these 2 issues, your hlp please.

Tx to Outlook 2003

www.Chapura.com has a product that will migrate data to Outlook much better than an export via CSV to Outlook.

I'd suggest you give it a try. Re-occuring calendar events, you are correct, do not migrate well so you must use something that does a better job of it.

Tx to Outlook 2003

great, i will try it, I used it many years ago, on a palm V ,but wold have thought Palm would have upgraded there support for Outlook. Any thoughts on how to not populate my Tx with my email address only contacts from my laptop , please

Tx to Outlook 2003

Most people view their Outlook contacts in Address Card view - you can delete all of the email addresses that you have easily by changing the Card View to say - list view and then sort only on the email portion and delete those records.

If you wish to keep those email addresses - then I'd suggest you put all of them into a subfolder in Outlook and then opt not to sync to that subfolder, which if you use the default Palm Conduits for syncing - won't happen.

Chapura also has a program called Pocket Mirror Pro XT that will allow you to select which subfolder(s) to sync or not and it will categorize your contacts to the TX by this subfolder name.

I have over 2600 records on my Treo in Contacts and don't notice a slow down as a result. Where you will get a slow down - multiple repeating events that weren't handled correctly by the transfer. Holidays, birthdays, etc have a tendence to come over with multiple listings in the same day overflowing or repeating incorrectly. So I'd look at those as a possible reason for slowdown.

BTW - I'm not inferring that I need 2600 records in Contacts - it's a job related database and for specific reasons of work, I choose not to cut it down to the 400 or so that I really would use.

Tx to Outlook 2003

Thank you for your great, simple reply, It is really refreshing, to get some good information the PalmAu user group here in Australia is dead, with feedback.

I will work through the response you gave me, in 2 weeks as I am on a Plane over to your part of the world, for work.

Thank you

Tx to Outlook 2003

are you saying that if I sort email only address into sub folder, there is OR IS NOT a way in Palm Conjuct to select or de select each folder. Are you saying Pocket Mirror is the only way,

Just getting clarity

Tx to Outlook 2003

The conduit manager supplied by Palm that works with Outlook does not select subfolders, period.

Pocket Mirror Pro XT (need to be certain you get the Pro and the XT version) does give you the ability to select specific folders or subfolders to sync.

The Standard version of Pocket Mirror is very similar to the native Palm conduit manager and then the non-XT version is for the older then T3 devices as the T3 was the first Palm to have the enhanced fields that Outlook has had for sometime.

So if you want a very powerful conduit manager that allows you to sync to subfolders in Outlook - then you will need to buy Pocket Mirror Pro XT.

I use it with both my T5 and my Treo 650 and have used it when it first became available for the T3 back in late 2003.

Now to be clear - if you don't want all of that power - you can simply create a Contact subfolder and put those pesky email addresses into that subfolder and then sync with the conduit set for Desktop overwrites the Handheld and it should remove the email addresses from the handheld.

Be certain to reset the conduit back to Sync otherwise ........

BTW: The ability of subfolders to sync is not limited to Contacts, you can subfolder, tasks, memos and Calendar apps as well.

Tx to Outlook 2003

very clear, but this process will need to be done regularly as emails keep coming and growing the folder, is there a way to have the palm contacts on a sub folder and Outlook, will put email into the main one, and If i want to add a Contact for my palm i put it in the sub folder, then sync palm and it will be on the palm.

There must be a way to allow Outlook to grow an address book seperate to the palm address,

Also the repeat reminders in calander, will they work perfectly in Ouotlook if they are pocket mirror pro merged.

Thank you

Tx to Outlook 2003

Outlook will put new contacts into what ever folder or subfolder you choose when creating that contact. You decide when editing/creating the contact. The normal folder is Contact and not any of the subfolders. So you could put all of the email contacts into that one and have another or several subfolders that sync to the Palm.

Repeat stuff - Outlook and Palm, well I do most of my entry on the Palm which will sync fine to Outlook. If you create the entry in Outlook - then you need to run an experiment as to the best way that the Palm prefers you to do it.

Here's what I'd suggest, create a repeating event (weekly, monthly or yearly) on the Palm and then sync and see exactly how it is coded in Outlook. Then if you prefer you can start your data entry via Outlook just be certain to check or not check the appropriate boxes.

Where it gets to be a little dicey is when you are creating an event that rolls over several days - Palm prefers these events to be untimed and Outlook prefers to have them timed. If you create them in Outlook with time attached then the Palm will break them up into multiple events.

You'll have to experiment a little to see what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information