Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Toon Zone Talkback - "The Illusionist": Sylvain Chomet's Beautiful, Melancholy Ambiguity

This is the talkback thread for "The Illusionist": Sylvain Chomet's Beautiful, Melancholy Ambiguity.

At the time, I thought Persepolis could have easily taken the Best Animated Feature Oscar from Ratatouille. Now that I've finally seen The Illusionist, it would have been my pick this year over Toy Story 3.

Yes it's that good. I'm kind of amazed it's only Sylvain Chomet's second film.

Toon Zone Talkback - "The Illusionist": Sylvain Chomet's Beautiful, Melancholy Ambiguity

Well, I loved his other film and the amount of ambiguity in this one is always a plus for me. I've been curious about the movie for a while, but this review further convinces me to just buy it from the get-go.

I didn't think it was that good, though I certainly agree with you that the animation is magnificent. I don't think it's as satisfying a story as Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, or Summer Wars. Those films may have been sillier in parts but in their serious moments I felt more emotionally attached to the characters. Illusionist had atmosphere but I don't know if it went beyond that or not.

My main problem with the film is that I get the feeling that it's trying to sell the girl's relationship with the old man as "cute" and "innocent" while I'm personally just seeing the girl as shallow and materialistic. Some critics have argued that this "ambiguity" is intentional, but I'm really not so sure.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a film about an old man and a materialistic girl he starts living with, I just don't get the impression that it's TRYING to paint it like that.

Also, Chomet says there wasn't any rotoscoping but I still find it hard to believe when watching it.

Looking back last year, I'm not sure I feel the same way about 2010's animated films as 2009's batch. I thought Toy Story 3 and HTTYD were well-executed crowd pleasers but hardly fresh air or uncalculated. Summer Wars is OK as far as anime films go, but I don't get on with Hosoda that well. Way too eager to please for my tastes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information