Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Which phone out now has the best reception??

My deep condolences. I will never lend a phone to you because I want to live. :evil:

[QUOTE=Pinguino1]
    phones lie tou you too about that stuff. it makes the phones and service look good if they do.
    http://www.dansdata.com/gz084.htm

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perchance anyone really wants to know the solution from the engineering side of things (signal processing and rf). Although POWER of antenna broadcasting is limited by the FCC. There is still infinite flexibility within an individual phone's design. If you're asking yourself which phone to get based on reception: be more specific. Do you want to hear better? Do you want less dropped calls? Do you want better internet service?

One phone will get you great call quality (reception and broadcast), but drop calls frequently. It's minimum connection bandwidth may be too high for you if you're in a rural area, but if the network is strong around you, you'll think it's the best phone ever (for reception).

On the other hand, a different phone may have full bars and you can't really understand what your mom is telling you from her land-line. She can hear you just fine because your voice is going through a fantastic digital network that can automatically parse your voice away from that of a moving freight train five feet away from you, (The math involved here is gorgeous and cannot be done on an analog signal) but you can't seem to hear her all that great even after mashing your phone into your ear and trying to find that "sweet spot". Moral of this one: from phone to phone bars don't mean much.

So to find the best solution for you talk to people who talk on the phone where you will be and don't ask them about bars, ask them about 1) other people hearing them well (broadcast quality for phone given set area), 2) them hearing other people well (antenna sensitivity for phone given area), and 3) dropping them (a number of factors).

So yes, phone broadcast POWER is set by the FCC, but the sensitivity of a particular phone's antenna (you hearing others or surfing the web) may vary greatly and gobs of other factors in a phone will affect "call quality" in a way that you and your neighbor disagree on.

Have fun with this one.

Ever notice the other end sounding far away? The frequency range has been limited. It's the same POWER focused in one area to account for weak signal amplitude.

Also, don't be confused by my use of the word signal. Everything is a signal.

PM me if you are looking for s710a ... I have one that needs a new home.

Why does it seem like the cheaper nokia dumb phones get the best reception? People always talk about the 6010, 3595, or 2610 getting the best reception. Is it because of the cheaper plastics used? Less internal hardware to get in the way of the antenna? I can honestly say I have noticed a difference between my N79 and the 2610 for not only holding a signal, but having a better quality connection.

Maybe the moto guy is right when it comes to consumer opinion. Most power users care about many other features than just rf. The bulk of people in the US just want a cheap phone that works. So, with a greater number of people talking about the rf of the cheap phones you get the idea generated that these phones actually have better reception.

I still think Nokia is the best for rf, but maybe I'm mistaken.

dontcha think maybe he meant the phones?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I personally find that Motorola, Nokia and iPhones seem to have really good reception. Stay away from Samsung if you like making/receiving phone calls.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information