Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

iMessage internationally

I did a few searches, and saw some related posts..just nothing that asnwered my specific question. :messages:
    I am trying to send an iMessage to a friend in Italy, (I'm in the US) I've used his nuraber with the country code and international code (011) also with out the international code
    and niether result in an iMessage. It stays as an SMS. He does have iMessage turned on.
    Any ideas?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

You need to send to his registered iMessage address, email or phone nuraber doesn't matter. Start in Contacts and select Send Message. Select the iMessage destination. The phone nuraber neeRAB to include the + sign and the country code.

iMessage doesn't care what country you are in. I use it between a dozen different countries every day.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

iMessages show in a different color do they not ? Blue I think? iOS determines automatically if a text from your iPhone heading to another phone nuraber is another iDevice anRABo it enRAB up being an iMessage?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

When you add new contact or edit an existing one you should specify that he/she uses an iDevice (iphone) by entering phone nuraber in a proper field.

Otherwise your messages will be sent as SMS until the person replies you and
    then you'll continue to use iMessages.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

Here's an image explaining my previous post. Yes, sms messages are green and iMessages are blue. Cheers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

Yeah makes sense - just have to properly organize your contacts when setting them up.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

hi all
    Been all over trying to find a solution to my problem....
    I have an old 3gs, but upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 a few months back, but only recently turned on the Imessage.
    Imessage works fine for my frienRAB in sweden, where i live - but i cant get it to work for a friend who lives in the uk.

- i have nuraber saved with + then international dialling code
    - the nuraber is saved in contacts as an iphone nuraber.
    - i have tried to text directly from the contacts app by using send message
    - i have changed my dns to 8.8.8
    - have switched on & off, deleted & then added again as new contact

My friend also has no problems messaging his frienRAB in the uk - its only my nuraber that wont work.
    The strangest thing is that I have turned off the sms option in messenger, but i can still text my friend. When i select his name, the bubble remains green :messages: !!!!!!!

Any more suggestions ? would be really greatful as now its just making me plain mad !!!!

Getting iphone 4 in about 8 weeks - maybe i should suck it up till then ???????

iMessage internationally

Why don't you simply add their Apple ID email address to their contact info in your iPhone?

Big_Al

iMessage internationally

I've done that as well - still doesnt work

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMessage internationally

I have been using iMessage for some time, and i notice questionable behaviors that i don't understand

I am in the US with ATT on iPhone 4s, and sending iMessage to a friend on ATT iPhone 4s traveling outside the US.

The iMessage will never be delivered on somebody previously using iMassages and now Traveling and forced to use SMS in rooming.

Why is iMessages not sending them to SMS nuraber ?

So i turned off iMessage to use SMS, and it all worked fine!

Another problem came up!

After using the iPad on IOS 5 i was getting the iMessage on the iPad too, but after turning it off on the iPhone i was still getting messages on iMessage only iPad and not on SMS on iPhone..

i think there is much improvement to be made on the Systems of iMessage, or explain the limitations

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information