Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

is this a good bike? 81 kawasaki 440 ltd?

Hey, looking to learn how to ride a motorcycle, i got about two grand saved up for one, but just moved and neighbor has a pristine condition kawasaki 440 ltd that only has 10,000 miles and great cond. hes asking 800 but i think i can talk him down to six, its older yeah but seems like a good started bike, and if i tipped it over I wouldnt care as much as i would spending the whole 2 grand on a bike, are these pretty good bikes? thanks

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a great bike. Gets about 65 mpg. I had one in 1985 when I lived in the Fla Keys.I made some modifications to it, and could outrun a 750cc. Carbuerator jets. Smaller needle gives more HP. Rear sprocket.Get one with fewer teeth. A bike mechanic can explain the advantage.A quick-release throttle lock for cruise control. Oh, and regarding laying it down,put some highway bars with foot-pegs on it. Then you can move the front turn signals down on the bars.

The Freak Show
    That was my very first motorcycle!

It ran forever and never had a single problem. It will drive all day on the highway, and get great fuel economy. There are also tons of parts out there for them.

For $600 I don't think you can go wrong.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya, those were good bikes in their day. Not prone to any particular mechanical shortcomings, and plenty of forum support out there for upgrades and tech questions. Allot money for a Motorcycle Safety Course. This will limit the tip over factor. Allow for protective gear, and buy it before you need it. The bike will be a good deal if it is fit to ride. You should focus on learning what riding is about, not mechanical engineering. Does it run well? Has it sat, and now has gummed up carbs? Tires on a motorcycle deteriorate quickly. If they are over three years old, they need to be replaced. Do not rely on the appearance. Seals will soon be an issue with an aged bike. Not a deal breaker, just something you need to allow for. If it runs well enough for you to learn on, buy it, and after several months, upgrade to a later model bike.

imported_vatrader
    Ya, those were good bikes in their day. Not prone to any particular mechanical shortcomings, and plenty of forum support out there for upgrades and tech questions. Allot money for a Motorcycle Safety Course. This will limit the tip over factor. Allow for protective gear, and buy it before you need it. The bike will be a good deal if it is fit to ride. You should focus on learning what riding is about, not mechanical engineering. Does it run well? Has it sat, and now has gummed up carbs? Tires on a motorcycle deteriorate quickly. If they are over three years old, they need to be replaced. Do not rely on the appearance. Seals will soon be an issue with an aged bike. Not a deal breaker, just something you need to allow for. If it runs well enough for you to learn on, buy it, and after several months, upgrade to a later model bike.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information