Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

why do grooms wear black and brides wear white on the wedding day?

what do the colors represent?
    why don't grooms wear white to symbolize their purity and chastity too?

I DEMAND SEXUAL EQUALITY!!!

Originally, white represented purity and chastity, but now it's just tradition.
    Men wear black because that's the color tuxedos come in. No real reason there.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    black is elegant, back in the old days men wore black suits to show elegance. white was worn to show purity in the woman.. also black was an easy color to dye when colors were not as varied and easy to come by as they are now

now you can get married in what ever color you want. black is just the most common because not only does it look good that is what most people want. not many people can pull off white.

It's fiction that white represents purity and all of that.

White started in the Victorian times. Usually a girl just got married in a very nice dress before that, any colour. And then wore that as her good dress after the marriage. The white dress started because it was an impractical colour and it showed you were rich enough to have a dress to wear just on that one day.

Men wear black because that is the common colour for dress suits now. But that is not always true. I have seen people get married in a white tux, in a gray suit, and my own father wore a powder blue tuxedo...it was the seventies.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wear a dress then dude lol

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Once again the Patriarchal system in effect, women with high standards to be met and men get away with anything. Yeah, the white for purity and chaste, yet the man could have been the biggest 'ho in town.

Oh yeah, there are variations now.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    White is supposedly supposed to mean the bride is a virgin, but pretty much every bride wears white nowadays. I don't know why most grooms wear black, but that is pretty much the color that tuxes come in unless you want them custom done, which is really expensive. But I have seen grooms in white or grey, and my father in law wore baby blue color at his wedding (not my favorite, but hey, it was the 80s!). You can wear whatever color you want to when it's your wedding.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information