Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Deborah H

How do you build an outdoor fire in a firepit?

I just bought my husband a fire-bowl type of fire pit for our anniversary (7th=copper). I would like detailed instructions on how to best build a fire. I don't want to use a duraflame log, since they are not for cooking on. We would like to toast marshmallows on it.

fluffernut
    You need dry wood pieces.......like pine, apple, oak, hickory, etc. Some wood really stinks.....I don't like elm at all. What do they use for fireplace wood in your area? Hopefully more than Duralogs! You'd need some of that, but in smaller pieces first to get the fire started.

Many ways to start a fire, easiest I guess is to crumble up a few pages of newspaper then surround them with small/thin wood pieces often called kindling. Leave room for air to get underneath.......then light the paper. Once the wood has begun to burn you can start to slowly add larger and larger pieces of dry wood. Never use green or fresh wood, it won't burn, just smoke.

I don't know how much heat the copper will withstand, so don't plan on a bon fire! Just keep your wood pieces thin, less than an inch diameter, and add more as necessary. Thicker pieces of wood can be split into smaller thinner pieces, that is broken down the length, not sawn into "plates."

akvt1129
    Get some firewood and lighter fluid. Light the wood with the fluid on it. Soon you will have a efficient marshmallow-cooker. I have done this many times myself. It works.

Tom
    Take two sheets of newspaper, put them together and the roll them very loosely from corner to corner. Now take the tube you've just created and tie it as you would as in the first knot of tying a shoe lace. Again, loosely. Do this procedure two more times so that you have three paper "knots".

Now you can put a small amount of charcoal lighter on them and pile some small pieces of wood on top. Light the paper in several places and it will start your wood effortlessly. Once the small pieces have started add the larger logs and you're done.

The above can be done without the charcoal lighter, it just takes more time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information