Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can a car audio system (subs & new head unit) make it so a diagnostics computer

can't read anything? I had some subs, an amp, and a new head unit installed in my car. Hadn't had any problems for about a year after install. Recently it would not start and when the car place tried to hook up the diagnostics computer to it it wouldn't read anything because of a high voltage accessory installed. They reset the computer in it and I have had no problems since. My question is first is this true that my audio system makes the computer unreadable? If so is it the sub or the head unit that makes it unreadable? I just found it hard to believe that my car was the first one the car place had ever seen with an audio system. Any help would be appreciated.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If the computer could not read anything because of a "High voltage accessory" then it would probably be your amp. I don't know how big of an amp you have installed but amps work by drawing large amounts of electricity (high voltage) from your battery. Therefore i would guess the problem would be your amp. Next time you go for repairs, disconnect the hotwire to your amp and there won't be a problem. (assuming that is the high voltage accessory)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone was feeding you a line. For one, you don't have a "high voltage" accessory installed. ALL accessories run off of 12 volts.

It was just a glich with the micro processor in the car.

The answer above is totally bunk!

"amps work by drawing large amounts of electricity (high voltage)"

Amplifiers draw current, not high voltage. The battery can ONLY supply about 12 volts.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    actually in in the mid 2000's chevy along with some other manufacturers started started incorporating the dianostic system into the factory stereo. if your car was one of these and the installer did not add the proper wiring harness with a small "black box" built in then it would cause this problem. along with this you would loose the door chimes and your airbags could be affected also. to fix this all you would have to do is swap out the wiring harness for the proper one and it would all be resolved. anymore questions feel free to contact me. oh and the harness can range from $40 to $100

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information