Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

Mark Lanagan (or however you spell it english nazi) from the screaming tree... "i nearly, I nearly lost you there"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

Holy cow, people have been going crazy over supergroups these days.

But this one is guaranteed not to suck, I mean how can they possibly f*ck up a lineup like that?

This is freaking awesome, man.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

i don't know, really. i have listened to the first three many times, and i just enjoy the first more than the other two.

it's just really relaxed, i suppose.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

Now that's certainly a bold statement. Honestly, I didn't find anything particularly wrong with Era Vulgaris. There were a few filler tracks (I'm Designer, Misfit Love, Suture Up Your Future and Battery Acid come to mind) but nothing that really stung of shit like most of Lullabies. I just wasn't that into it.

Rated R, on the other hand, was for me the zenith of QOTSA. It has a brilliant opener (Feel Good Hit Of The Summer) and an ethereal closer (I Think I Lost My Headache) and really only two filler tracks which clocked at under 2:30 corabined don't really affect the album's integrity. One of Homme's best showings-off his of guitar prowess is there too (Better Living Through Chemistry) as well as perhaps their most well-recognized song (In The Fade). The album takes turns among different genres, breaching their many talents, and when I first listened really surprised me with its stunning composition.

I saw Queens live twice: once in 2003 during their prime and once just last year. I have to admit, the 2007 show was MUCH better, and Homme satiated the audience by playing most of the set from earlier works. The set closer, I Think I Lost My Headache, was spectacular, even without the horns.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

and crap, my "d" keykeeps malfunctioning... piece of crap keyboard!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

Well generally the bass player isn't a unique entity, they tend to create a team - as the rhytham section - with the drummer. When you don't have cohesion there, things tend to fall apart or worse, become repetitive.

They also happen to keep time, so and band worth their salt is relying on them to keep a groove even if we're not talking about funk. Thats just the nature of their role. Occasionally you might have other instruments do that, their certainly just as capable but thats how it has generally been.

But lets forget technicality - if your favorite banRAB bass players aren't generally adding much, and following guitar leaRAB then its time for a change. For me, a good bass player is adding what would be (as an example here) the harmonics in an acapela group.

My favorites never really play anything insanely complex, but they add color to a song, simple walking baselines, or shifts to something a little more lurabering can change the entire tone of the song.

Bass is also about knowing how to effectivly use space to create a song in equal parts with the notes you're playing. And I'd say it matters here more so than on most of the treble instruments. (the drums might have some of this in them too)

My advice, on how to learn what Bass can do, and how good bassists make or break things is to listen to them in different capacities. If you're listening to Indie music, I'm sure its not going to matter much but try a brass section and see what the Tuba's doing. Then take it out and listen to it again.

Try the acapella stuff, give string sections a listen when the bass or low end cellos take a smoke break. In my estimation Bass players are pulling more weight than anyone else.

(pardon the spelling, I'm at work)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

The Desert Sessions were pretty epic, and qotsa are decent in my book.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

yeah someone was asking what album to buy first.

anyone hear any news about the new disc the group is supposedly working on at the moment?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

S/T and Songs for the Deaf are the best they've put out. I like em a lot maybe just because they led me to a lot of what I like now.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Queens of the Stone Age

I find them a bit hit and miss. Stoner rock is a genre I really need to dig deeper in. I absolutely adore the MASTERS OF REALITY debut album, and they have ties with QOTSA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information