Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    AClockworkMelon

Starving Kitten: AKA...What the Hell Is Wrong With People?

Quote Originally Posted by ivan astikov View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
    So, if an old dear feels the need for a protective dog to accompany her to the post office when she cashes her pension money, anybody should be able to walk within the circle of her leash's limits without fear of being bitten?
    Are you fucking kidding me? Yes, they should.
    Why? A dog's protective nature is one of the first things early humans would have harnessed them for. The main reason old dears don't have large, ferocious-looking dogs is because they couldn't guarantee always being able to control them, not because they don't want them. So, if an elderly person needs to rely on a smaller dog, she should have every right to train it to bite people who enter her space uninvited.
    First of all, the dog's perspective is irrelevant. Second of all, does that mean I should be able to carry a firearm around with me and open fire on anyone, anyone at all who comes within five feet of me? Your position is stupid. I think you probably realize that now. Just give it up.

Freudian Slit

[QUOTE=ivan astikov;12727879]
    Why? A dog's protective nature is one of the first things early humans would have harnessed them for. The main reason old dears don't have large, ferocious-looking dogs is because they couldn't guarantee always being able to control them, not because they don't want them. So, if an elderly person needs to rely on a smaller dog, she should have every right to train it to bite people who enter her space uninvited.
    Her space? So someone who accidentally bumps the "old dear" or brushes by her when it's crowded is allowed to get bitten? Within the circle of its leash can be a pretty big area.

Shot From Guns

I like cats. Dogs, on the other hand, slobber and shit and stink.

Chessic Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
    Again with the sociopath thing? They're fucking CATS! They're not part of society; they're fucking animals. I love that according to the SDMB, if you don't worship Teh Kitteh, you're now a sociopath. The bar has never been lower, lemmetellya.
    If you can be devoid of positive feelings for teh cute kittehs and puppies, you're definitely on the sociopath ladder by my scale.
    Coming from you, that's...meaningless. I'm having trouble expressing how little your evaluation of mental imbalances really counts for something.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
    You said it was OK to callously treat a cat and destroy it as you would a pot. Nobody here was proselytizing for the First Church of Latter-Day Felines. However, your post seems to indicate that you'd be fine with someone jamming a syringe into a cat's eyes through which to inject hydrochloric acid. Hence my earlier "yikes!".
    Well of course I wouldn't be OK with that. There are two kinds of people that would do such a thing: sick weirdos and people with good reasons to do that. I may think poorly of the person doing it (or I may not) but it's not like I'm going to feel bad for the cat.

And we destroy cats like pots all the time. Sometimes it involves a vet and sometimes it involves a shotgun and a pasture. In this case, it's just through neglect.

The point is, the OP can do anything they want to the cat and since I don't anthropomorphize cats like some pet owners, I'm not going to pity it. In this case, the people in the OP fall into the latter category of animal torturers- people with good reasons.
    Yeah, this line of argument isn't really working for me, either. I'll leave you to your bed-wetting and fire-starting.

alice_in_wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
    I like cats. Dogs, on the other hand, slobber and shit and stink.
    Obviously you've never met my cat, 'cus he does all these things too.

Sometimes he'll actually wake me up for kitty snacks by drooling on my face. It's charming.

SweetLucy

You said it was OK to callously treat a cat and destroy it as you would a pot. Nobody here was proselytizing for the First Church of Latter-Day Felines. However, your post seems to indicate that you'd be fine with someone jamming a syringe into a cat's eyes through which to inject hydrochloric acid. Hence my earlier "yikes!".
    Well of course I wouldn't be OK with that. There are two kinds of people that would do such a thing: sick weirdos and people with good reasons to do that. I may think poorly of the person doing it (or I may not) but it's not like I'm going to feel bad for the cat.

And we destroy cats like pots all the time. Sometimes it involves a vet and sometimes it involves a shotgun and a pasture. In this case, it's just through neglect.

The point is, the OP can do anything they want to the cat and since I don't anthropomorphize cats like some pet owners, I'm not going to pity it. In this case, the people in the OP fall into the latter category of animal torturers- people with good reasons.
    You wouldn't pity the cat? or feel bad for the cat? I'd feel bad even for a jerk like you if you were tortured or mistreated.

Chessic Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Contrapuntal View Post
    And while you're at it, think about disassociating yourself from someone who threatens to feed kittens to the dogs. She's a vile piece of shit.
    Why? Dogs have to eat or they'll starve. Can you come up with a reason why this kitten should be kept alive? And if not, why can't she use the body for something useful?

ivan astikov

This, coming from the guy who took others to task for using deadly force in response to home intruders, is mighty fucking rich.
    The difference being, a home intruder doesn't enter the home to confront the owners in 99.9% of the instances it happens* - unless you can provide independently verified figures confirming otherwise? - whereas a stranger entering the circle of a dog-walker uninvited can be seen as a direct threat.

Second of all, does that mean I should be able to carry a firearm around with me and open fire on anyone, anyone at all who comes within five feet of me?
    Yes, of course, because the two situations are entirely alike and only a complete ignoramus would need to ask such a question.

* - I'm talking from real, down n gritty experience, not your fancy Dan fucking guesswork.

AClockworkMelon

Yes, of course, because the two situations are entirely alike and only a complete ignoramus would need to ask such a question.
    Thanks for reminding me that I'm in the pit.

The situations aren't as different as you'd like to think. Why is it acceptable for a leashed dog in public- say, at the park, a sidewalk in a busy shopping district, etc- to bite anyone who comes within a few feet while it's unacceptable for me to shoot anyone who comes within a few feet in those same locations?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information