Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Power consumption in standby mode

Impossible. That's only 5 Watts average draw. You must have slipped a digit.

ScaryBob

My 9200 draws 32w on and 30w off. That works out to about 0.74kw/day. The power factor is 0.67. That brings the VA up to 48/46, or about 1.1 KVA/day.

Kevin007

is this lots????

distox

My whole home theater system is connected to a big UPS (4 X 100ah batteries). 2 PVRs, 60" TV, 7.1 audio with 2 subs, computer etc. Using a power meter, I calculated about $140 of power a year. If and when "Time of Use" billing comes to my house I plan on putting the UPS on a timer. Off when the billing is high and recharging when billing is low.

ScaryBob

The 9200 exceeds guidelines for device standby mode by over 300%. Those guidelines state that power draw devices in standby mode should not exceed 7w. The draw is even worse when the power factor is considered. At 46VA, the 9200 exceeds guidelines by 550%. To put it another way, each 9200 costs consumers up to $18 in power consumption per year (@$0.10/kwh) compared to devices that meet minimum guidelines. The power factor means that the power company must generate an extra $24 in electricity per year, $8 of which it does not collect due to mechanical meter shortcomings. When TOD use becomes effective and meters that can measure PF and calculate VA consumption are used, the annual cost could double to about $36. That's a potential extra $3/month just to keep a PVR running.

Again, some arithmetic errors. The cost for any user is about $1/year for each Watt used 24/7. So a 30 Watt device uses about $30/year at roughly $0.12/kWh (ballpark average for most provinces).

1 Watt x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year x $0.12/kWh / 1000W/kW = roughly $1/year. A very easy number to remember. In Quebec, electricity costs less so the number would be lower.

People need to learn to keep track of their significant digits.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information