Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Polls show the public is just about evenly split on who blames the Democrats and who blames the Republicans.

But the Republicans are the ones responsible for the shutdown. The Democrats tried to resolve the disagreement with compromise, but Republicans see compromise as capitulation.

When the Republicans took over the House of Representatives earlier this year, they made it clear, they announced openly, that their first priority was to deny Obama a second term. In other words, their first priority is to gain control of the government, NOT to run the country, to do what's best for the people. The shutdown is just another political ploy to embarrass Obama and the Democrats and neutralize them politically.

They did exactly the same thing when Clinton was president and they controlled Congress. Newt Gingrich, speaker of the house at the time, said President Clinton was -irrelevant- to the budget process, that he should just sign it because Congress gets to make the budget. Clinton vetoed the budget saying 'The Constitution makes me relevant'. Public opinion was strongly on the side of the Democrats in that one. This time people are about evenly split (but that could change. Wait and see how it plays out.)

I think (or at least I'd like to think) that most Americans are beginning to see that the Republicans are only trying to take it out of the hides of working people. They whine about the budget but they still fight for more and more tax cuts for gazillionaires, and more and more defense spending. If we're really going to get control of the budget, those things should be on the table too. When Obama was trying to get his health care bill passed, the Republicans posed as protectors of Medicare. Now they want huge cuts in Medicare. How hypocritical is that?

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are gullible and the democrats have lots of kool aid from them

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We have COMPROMISED BY 40 BILLION

The republicans are saying my way or the highway

sorry but we ALREADY KNOW REPUBLICANS DON'T KNOW HOW TO GOVERN.

Cowboy POLICITS got us NO WHERE

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to hang out with smarter people. Libs right now have their mouths open and their ears closed. Their brains have just plain left the building. But then, that's par for the course, isn't it? lol

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Every since campaigning for the last midterms the republicans have threatened a shutdown. People want things done in Washington. Can't do that with one side shutting down the government.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information