Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Must See : The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

If you liked the film, have a look at this link:

Narnia Podcast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I loved the televised version of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
    It was fab

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quite. Hope you found the linked article a bit better!

Saw the film itself last night and thought it was great. Or at the very least greatish. After Harry Potter 4 which, having not read the book, was a boarderline incomprehensible mess of a film, the sheer power of a good story well told came through.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I read the article. Interesting, but to be honest it wasn't very deep, was it? I mean, it just really listed some examples in the books to refute claims of sexism, racism and 'lack of love' (Christian or otherwise).
    On the sexist/racist score Lewis would need to go a long way to beat Enid Blyton.
    I don't know. I think I'll need to read all the books again!

Re. Harry Potter: having read the book myself, I did wonder whether it would be comprehensible to those that hadn't. Guess I have the answer now.....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for posting that, it does seem to disprove the idea that the Christian message was just a coincidence.

I do agree with Pulman, though, about the ending to the whole series [SPOILER]where all the children die but it doesn't matter, they are all in heaven/Narnia forever now[/SPOILER] it does seem pretty sick.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

highly amusing article, and go to the arcives and look at the HP one from november too
    http://datelinehollywood.com/archive...n-of-the-lion/

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'll have to spoilerise this whole post!

[SPOILER]Whatever your personal views, the vast majority of people on this planet believe either in an afterlife, or some form of continuing spirit. To say such an ending is sick makes the assumption that - as a fact - there can be no afterlife. Never mind the barking mad American Intelligent Design idiots, proper scientists are about a billion miles from making this conclusion. We just don't know. [BTW, if you want to read more on this, try an excellent anthology called Quantum Questions which is the collected writings of the 20th century's greatest theoretical physicists, including Einstein, on this subject.]

Given that we don't know, what on Earth is wrong with fiction exploring this possibility? Personally, fundamentalist Athiesm I find as offensive as fundamentalist Christianity, Islam or anything else...[/SPOILER]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just been to see this film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've read the book, seen the TV series and seen it performed on stage - so I think a film is kinda the last medium I could see it in

I think they were faithful to the book - its not a very long story, so there is less chance of bits being missed out - and it was great that they went into the action almost straight away

I also think that Tilda Swinton was an excellent choice for the White Witch. James McAvoy was good as Mr Tumnus but I always imagined him as being a bit older

The children were fairly good too - especially the little girl who played Lucy and the boy who played Edmund. I did feel however (like some others) that the boy who played Peter was a bit of a let down and also that the girl who played Susan was a tad annoying at times. I read the book last year and cant remember her being that annoying in the book!

I'm just gonna spoiler this bit - probably me being over cautious but I'd rather be that than not

[SPOILER]Am I alone in thinking that Jim Broadbent was a bit pointless as The Professor and that Liam Neeson was a terrible choice for Aslan? his accent and whole persona were completely wrong IMO [/SPOILER]

Only thing that spoiled the film? Blumming kiRAB on the front row taking it in turns to cry!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went to see it the day!, and to be honest didnt think it was good at all!, it was ok! but does not deserve all these rave reviews!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Indeed - that's the very thing. You don't have to look very hard to see that Pullman's whinging is full of BS. Just as you say, nothing deep about it at all!

Funnily enough I am re-reading the series now. Sexism I can't really see, especially written in 1955. Lucy is as proactive a character as any - you don't really have to dig much deeper than that. The lack-of-love charge is just plain mad.

Where I AM uncomfortable is racism. I think this is the strongest case against the series. The examples in the article are points well made, but not enough for me. He may as well call the Calormenes "Dirty filthy Arabs". I hope the makers find an elegent way to ditch this element for Horse And His Boy, cos it's an excellent story otherwise. One can only say that the 1950s were less enlightened times...

Incidentally, in reading order, A Horse And His Boy is the next story after LWW, not Prince Caspian.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information