Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

TomTom Review #2 and Reasons It's being Returned

Moose Man, thanks for the great review!!

Are you going to try... the navman 4460 too?

Thanks for the kind words.

Nope but I'd love to read your review.

Hadn't seen that article so thanks for the link. The Navman units I've seen in the B&M's haven't impressed me. The Best Buy in town has a working icn 630 and although it's a worthy GPS unit - taking that map interface to a Palm just doesn't seem to be in my tastes, at the moment.

I'll stick with iQue and ponder awhile longer.

POI - Points of interest. I pointed out earlier that you have to route to the POI in order to see the address. Well it's worse - you can't tell what side of the road it's on and in fact most of them are listed as on the road and if you have a lot of POI's selected they can actually hide the road name.

Well during the installation process for the PC, the software installs a Tom Tom conduit. That's ok but with a Win XP machine there is no removal tool or unistall.

A search of the program files and hard drive show no file references other than one directory.

Well here I go again: off to tech support to wait for another 18 hours.

cme4oil,

We both got bit: I'll add an 11th, routing lack of ability to add via's ala the Que. You can ask for another route and it will calculate it but you can't pick anything.

I ran a calculation from Modesto to Las Vegas - first choice by Tom Tom was to go south to Turlock on Hwy 99 and then go over to I-5 and continue to Bakersfield and take S.R. 223 to Hwy 58 and then on to Las Vegas via I-15. This takes you at least 45 miles out of the way and probably 60 minutes because of surface streets rather then freeway 99.

If you chose another route it would take you over Yosemite which is a shorter distance but would take longer because mostly surface streets.

Both routes showed a calculation of nearly 10 hours. I can drive it in 7.5 hours at 72 MPH.

The routing and calculation was just way off and the lack of being able to create the route using a via point or some similar method, nope.

Tech Support still hasn't gotten back to me regarding the registration issues or the PC components. I went in and cleared the registry of the Tom Tom references and removed the Tom Tom folder - which cleared the problem as I knew it would but I'm still wondering what tech support will say.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mooseman, question:
    I bought the TomTom Bluetooth GPS w/o consulting this site (bad of me, I know.
    When bringing the program on line and the bluetooth working, did the reception strenght bars light up?
    Or did you have to do a specific set up?
    I connect to the GPS but I dont think the GPS is getting the satellites information. The light stays blue and does not change.
    I am about to return it, but I wanted to know if I was missing something
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,

mas

Are you outside? I know this sounds like a dumb question but...

I have used the TOMTOM software with a Belkin Bluetooth GPS without any problems.. Other than the fact that it's a piece of crap compared to my iQue 3600. Make sure you go into preferences and select the bluetooth gps.

Did you also register the product? If you didn't do that yet that could be the reason as well.

I did registered and manage to download the maps , and I do connect to the gps box with the bluetooth, I just cant get the downlink form the satellites I think.
    TomTom told me to send it in, but that would be a pain so I would just return it for now. Unless, of course, I can figure out why its not working an dI can fix it.
    Since I never used a GPS before, I was thinking that I was missing some step.
    mas

Now a happy T3 owner - after experience the delicasy of PDA Navs like my NavMan iPAQ combo last year I didnt want to go down that route again (pardon the pun!).

Instead I bought a TomTom Go - a dedicated compact unit - totally flawless, accurate, holds it's fix, reliable, easy to use, never crashes or locks-up, a whopping 5 hour battery life - it's not an answer to your probs I know but I had to say what a difference the non-PDA option makes.

As long as you are outside and not in your car if your not getting bars.....receiver is bad. Some vehicles have a special coating on the windshields that can prevent reception so be certain your in a clear area.

If all of the above has been tried....return it there is no "special" process except the registration of the device to the T3 be certain you have the bluetooth handshake and that you are receiving from the gps device even if there is no bar's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information