Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 274 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2735

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread

Back in the days when I was a teenager

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Something about them never quite clicked with me... I understand their appeal and all, and why alot of folks might love 'em, but i just could never get into them... so sorry to B & S fans, i'm going for a no vote this time...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Easily yes, four excellent albums

Modern Life is Rubbish
    Parklife
    The Great Escape
    blur (1997)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Noticed that a lot of people are voting no without saying why, which i'm assuming is a bit dodgy as they're not the most talked about act here. Sort it out peeps.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Run D.M.C. isn't really the best Hip Hop out there...Same for Grandmaster Flash, but to a lesser degree. They're both horribly dated and I wouldn't vote yes for either of them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah it's a tough one for me, i like Elliott's music but i'm in no way a fan. I'm going to do a bit more listening as well and maybe get influenced by a good argument here.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not at all, I would quote it as an homage, I have seen what your talking about though, should have clarified. I agree 100% with everything in said post.

But in response to what you said now, all personal preferences and technicalities aside, Led Zeppelin is the total package. The acts you mentioned are similar but not on Zeppelin's level. Critically acclaimed in their time, and even more so now. Commercially one the ten best selling artists ever worldwide, tops in the HArd rock genre ever. The second most influential (regardless of quality) band (behind the Beatles) on future generations ever.

Look I rarely get into this discussion because it frustrates me but, Led Zeppelin live is unlike anything else I have ever experienced in music, and there are not many who saw those shows from 1970-1975 that would argue or have a differing opinion. It wasn't because they were the first to as another poster put it "F*** the S*** out of the Blues" or wrote the best songs or played the best type of music, it was because they did what they did in a way that spoke to millions and millions of people, no one else has to like it, enough people already do to make the point.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Then don't tell me those albums are bad if you haven't even listened to them. Hows that for logic?

It seems that you just youtubed close to the edge, heard the weird little guitar intro at the beginning, skipped through everything else and decided that was enough to call the whole damn album bad. What a musicgoer you are.

It's not the kinda music you can just freaking sample little tid bits of and already have a solid opinion about it in no time flat, it's music thats meant to be observed and paid attention too, until then I don't consider your opinion to be an informed one. Writing off a whole discography that spans 5 decades by sampling is just insulting. I don't think your vote should even count.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Leftfield fail to make it in, up next from Sweet Nothing

Blur

"Pop people, we're pop people." - Damon Albarn

One of the best band’s of the 90’s and by far the best to come out of the Britpop scene Blur managed to keep things fresh by constantly changing their sound from the baggy shoegaze sound on their debut album Leisure (1991) to the Alternative lofi rock sound of their self titled album (1997). Formed at London’s GolRABmith College, Damon Albarn (vocals), Graham Coxon (guitar), Alex James (bass), and Dave Rowntree (drums) were originally named Seymour but later changed their name to Blur after signing to independent label Food RecorRAB. The band first singles “She’s So High” and “There’s No Other Way” were baggy anthems. Their debut Leisure (1991) was much in the same vain. Although Their second album Modern Life Is Rubbish (1993) showed a band adept to updating 60’s pop with a strictly English feel and revealed depth beneath Albarn’s pretty face. With the release of the infectious electro single ‘Boys & Girls’ and cockney swagger of ‘Parklife’ Blur found themselves as the leaders if the birtpop movement. Albums Parklife (1994) and The Great Escape (1995) are among the best pop albums of that decade and cemented their reputation. A rivalry with band Oasis was ill timed and the band found themselves pushing into a new direction entirely apparently at urging of guitarist Coxon who had been listening to a lot of American lofi at the time. Their self titled album Blur (1997) had the band move in that very direction but without sacrificing their fan base or chart status. ‘Song 2’ became their first big hit in America ‘People like it because it’s unsophisticated and thuggish, which is what people like basically’- Graham Coxon. 13 (1999) showed the band moving deeper in the same direction with experimental music though most of it’s lyrics were inspired by Albarn’s break up with then long time girlfriend Elastica singer Justine Frischmann. Lead single ‘Tender’ was a dabble in gospel music and had guitarist Graham Coxon sharing lead vocal duties as did the single ‘Coffee & TV’ which Graham sang lead vocals on and wrote, the song was also a brief return to the band previous Britpop sound. In 2002 Coxon left the band a year later Blur released Think Tank (2003). Think Tank was almost entirely written by Albarn and featured a wide style of instruments. The band had gone on hiatus to pursue personal interests. Albarn was able to more freely express his experimental tastes in both his projects Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad, and The Queen. Coxon went on to purse a solo career. Drummer Dave Rowntree became immersed in politics and bassist Alex James became a farmer. As of 2009 the band have ‘reunited’(Coxon included) and have been playing a slew of shows and will be headlining 2009’s Glastonbury festival, the Oxegen festival, T in the Park festival among others. The band has also been discussing re entering the studio to record new material.

Some Music Videos:
    [YOUTUBE]ATWnH-yb6-o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GXRVX1AKAew[/YOUTUBE]

Some Live Performances:
    [YOUTUBE]k96T_l9cTDY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UG0VpTc47Uw[/YOUTUBE]

Blur:
    Damon Albarn- Lead Vocals/Songwriter/KeyboarRAB
    Graham Coxon- Vocals/Songwriter/Guitar
    Alex James- Bass
    Dave Rowntree- Drums

Albums:
    Leisure
    Modern Life Is Rubbish
    Parklife
    The Great Escape
    Blur
    Think Tank

Recommended Songs:
    Girls & Boys
    For Tomorrow
    Sing
    Chemical World
    Coffee & TV
    You're So Great
    Beetlebum
    Tender
    Parklife
    The Universal

Seems to me that there are severe double standarRAB regarding the HOF. Many people who don't like certain banRAB have said no and that's all fine but when banRAB they like or admire get negativity it's a shit storm. Everyone should be entitled to their own choice regardless of what others think. quite a few said no to my rec: Pink Floyd without decent explanations. Didn't bother me. It's about a choice. Robert Johnson is possibly the most influential musician on modern music. Would he get in? Would he balls. Because within the rab listening criteria he isn't heard all that much and therefore not deemed worthy. it doesn't mean he isn't important. It's a reflection of rab and it's difference to other generic forums.

Although it would be extremely painstaking I think this should be restarted with stricter criteria

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information