Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Shot From Guns

"Concerned Citizens of the United States" Looking Out for Our Interests!

Quote Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
    In what sense is it a necessary consequence? :dubious:
    Because them Mexicans ain't got no fancy dee-grees. Or something.

Skeleton10

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    What jobs are you talking about?
    Well I use to be a fruit picker.....any other questions?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ivan astikov View Post
    Especially coming from a nation that was founded on unhindered immigration.
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    Unless they're Mexican

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
    That's op art-ish.
    I had a whole bunch more at first but it started wrapping and spoiled the effect.

It would be cool if the type size reduced 10% with each nesting, until it "poof" disappeared.
    So you're saying that nested quoting could reach a point of diminishing returns?

Really Not All That Bright

Quote Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
    I gave one above.

The organization I support as a board member is responsible for helping mothers-to-be and mothers of newborns with clothes, diapers, food, baby furniture, vocational training, and language classes. We keep records of all our clients, the vast majority of which are illegal aliens.

A ne'er-do-well with access to my organization's records could easily compile a list similar to the one we're discussing here. And so far as I know, they could do it without violating any law.

I note again that my actual organization would never do any such thing, and in fact as a result of this discussion I am going to make sure we stop documenting residency status, so we would not be compelled to release information someday that could be used in this way; what you don't have, you can't be subpoenaed into providing.

But that's secondary to the question you asked.
    Fair enough, then. I can breathe now. Why on earth were you documenting their residency status in the first place?

Kolga

Quote Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
    Because them Mexicans ain't got no fancy dee-grees. Or something.
    Messicans. Git yer pronounciations rite.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Laudenum View Post
    I see nothing wrong with concerned citizens reporting illegals to the relevant authorities, no more than I would have a problem with a person who reported that their neighbour was a law-breaker.

It is the duty of every good citizen to report illegals and other lawbreakers, and not turn a blind eye to their activities.
    Sorry, we got no freedom here. At least not for wetbacks. But hey, if you're a European illegal, have a seat and let me get you a beer!

Bricker

from here:
    A letter, signed "Concerned Citizens of the United States," accompanied the list and reads, in part, that the writer "observes these individuals in our neighborhoods, driving on our streets, working in our stores, attending our schools and entering our public welfare buildings."
    It's not clear whether the people named on the list are actually undocumented. One woman on the list, reached by local TV station KSL, said she's been a legal resident for years and is due to get her citizenship next month. Another person on the list, however, admitted to being in the country illegally.
    In reverse order: I find that statement a bit more credible than the quotes offered earlier. There's a huge difference, in my mind, between "No, I'm not here illegally," and "I've been a legal resident for years and am due to get my US citizenship next month." Obviously both are self-serving denials, but when you add in a easily-checked fact like that, in my view it gives much greater weight to the denial.

And then there's this business: "...the writer 'observes these individuals in our neighborhoods, driving on our streets, working in our stores, attending our schools and entering our public welfare buildings.'"

I wonder if this was the work of a group of lone amateur stalker-types, following people and doing basic Internet research? It just seems like the kind of mistake that would come from seeing a person with brown skin entering a "public welfare" building and automatically assuming illegal status.

Laudenum

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Sorry, we got no freedom here. At least not for wetbacks. But hey, if you're a European illegal, have a seat and let me get you a beer!
    Never said that Europeans should be given a free ride (although, tbh, at this point, freedom of movement between the US and EU would not be troublsome in the least).

Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
    Fair enough, then. I can breathe now. Why on earth were you documenting their residency status in the first place?
    Because in addition to providing services, we also act as a referral resource for state, county/city, and private programs other than ours. Some of those programs are only available to those people that can show a legal presence in Virginia, such as any Medicaid-funded aid or anything arising from state or local administration of programs mandated under 8 U.S.C.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information