Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Blog Talkback: Toons of the 2000s: Top 5 Animated Features

I'm going to admit it: I've never seen any of those movies. I will watch Sita Sings The Blues though since it's been put ahead of Spirited Away and Wall-E.

Seen all of them except Idiots and Angels. All great choices, though I'd probably put Persepolis ahead of Bashir on the grounds that Persepolis is actually rewatchable (Bashir was just too painful to sit through again) as well as being better animated. The Incredibles would be in my Top 5, but I remember Raven saying he only wanted one Pixar movie on the list for the sake of variety so Wall-E's the better choice.

I worked on this project, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Radical Raven did a great job ensuring that the films that made the list were diverse, fair, and enjoyable. It's refreshing to see a list that isn't just four Pixar movies and Spirited Away.

Personally I prefer Up to Wall-E, but just barely. Nearly all of the Pixar movies made this decade deserve to make the list (I'll exclude Cars).

I wrote the listing for Waltz With Bashir. I scanned Rotten Tomatoes reviews of this movie when I was writing it and I saw a phrase that sums my view of the film up perfectly. "It's not an easy film to watch, but it is a film worth watching." It earns its R rating and it's the strongest content I've ever seen in an animated product to date... but it's a masterfully done film.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know, I appreciate The Incredibles and what it accomplished technically, but I never liked it all that much. I also preferred Ratatouille to Wall-E. I've seen Waltz with Bashir twice now and may go back for a third. I don't think it should be discounted because it contains strong material that is difficult to process emotionally. The whole point of it is that the horrors committed were difficult to process emotionally. It succeeds in its anti-war message without being preachy. I would love to see more stories of this depth told in animation. Were it my personal list, that would've been my first pick.

Of all the Pixar films, Wall?E is definitely not the best. Its a really great film, and I love it, but I felt that UP is not only the best Pixar film, or one of the best animated films, but one of the best films of the decade, period.

But, everyone has their favorites, and not everyone's favorites can go up there. I'd like to see Waltz with Bashir, sounds awesome.

"Clone Wars" absolutely deserves a mention in the list, so does "Titan AE". I'd also put "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles" and "Justice Leage: Starlost" up for at least the Top 10.

Starcrossed was 3 TV episodes, not a theatrical movie. 3 great episodes, but still doesn't count.

As for Clone Wars...

I believe this abomination unto humanity hurt its chances greatly.

Return of the Joker was never released in theaters, and it made the list. Starcrossed was first released as a single movie, so I think it should count.

Which two films would you take out to make room for them?

That's a fair question. A lot of those films I haven't seen, and (based on the description) I probably wouldn't want to see.

As a roundabout way of answering your question, I'll give you my top five of the decade (in rough order):

5. Titan AE
    4. Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles
    3. Clone Wars
    2. The Incredibles
    1. Justice Leage: Starcrossed

If we include OVAs, my top 5 would be:

5. Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles
    4. Clone Wars
    3. The Incredibles
    2. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    1. Justice League: Starcrossed

Titan AE would drop several places (at least to #8) because I'd put Ultimate Avengers/UA2 and Green Lantern: First Flight ahead of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information