Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Found a free GPS program but need your help

I tried MobileGmaps and found it completely and utterly useless on my N73. It stalled out the backlight and wouldn't load completely - ever.

There is a new version that came out on Jan 25th. Fixed this bug for me on my N73

Anyone managed to download or have the link for a full screen version for the N80. Both the N73 and E61 versions are small screen and I just cannot get the N80 Beta version.

Paul

I have this downloaded and installed on my E62, along with MGMaps and Nav4All. Given the increase in GPS devices ou there, I've decided to do an in-depth comparison of the three, using the E62 and my Nokia LD-1W.

If you have anything specifically you'd like me to cover, please do. These three are what I'll be comparing, since they're all free java GPS apps. I expect to have it done in a week or so, and yes I'll post on here when it's done.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to see how these programs handle multipath, and how they will route you depending on the bounced GPS signals. For instance, drive around some tall buildings, bridges, and tunnels. Also, when you drive through a tunnel and lose a satellite lock, do these programs use some sort of inertial guidance so you can route as soon as you have another satellite lock?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

from experience, multipath is hit-or-miss with ALL the GPS apps (i've used Wayfinder, TomTom, and Nav4All heavily) Most will try to get you to make a u-turn for quite a while, before finally realizing that you didn't want to go that way (or couldn't)

As for tunnels and whatnot, living in Dallas, TX, that's going to be incredibly hard, if not impossible, to test. But they generally remember where you last were.

Thus far, I've decided to focus on installation, presentation (menus look/feel/usability), speed and ease of creating a trip, "favorites" and ease of those, accuracy, and POI. Anything else?

The big deal for me about google maps is the live traffic I get from my phone. Don any of these stand alones modules route traffic data, or I still need data to do that?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

MGmaps with GPS support might be enough for me to ditch wayfinder....
    I just wish googlemaps would natively support the bluetooth GPS

Well since MGmaps uses googles maps it shouldnt be to much of a jump

Awesome! Can't wait to see it. I hope you do at least a cursory comparison to TomTom as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information