Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music on my TX?

Music on my TX?

If I go to "manage playlist" & then "add song" I can find the audio folder I created, but all I can see is a pic of an open folder with a green arrow pointing up.......I cannot find my songs.........

Music on my TX?

I took another look & the files on my SD card are each 1 kb in size, which is what you said the shortcut would be...........but I copied & pasted them just as you said to.........

Music on my TX?

These songs are on a disc if it makes any difference.....I am noticing whether I save them on the computer or I save them to the SD card it is just the shortcut........how do I get the actual file????

Music on my TX?

ok, just to see what happens I moved the sample MP3 files that came in my computer onto the SD card & when I put the SD card into my TX they didn't show, but now I put the card in the reader back in the USB port & they are playing from the card.........

Music on my TX?

I could not easily figure out why you could only copy the shortcuts, and not the actual files, from the CD.

After some long reflections, I believe one reason might be that the CD is an audio CD, which do not contain any mp3 files. If the CD is indeed an audio CD, then the files on the CD would be something like Track01.cda, Track02.cda, etc. cda is shortform for "CD Audio". These cda files on the CD ARE 1 kb in size, just like the Windows Explorer shortcuts. When you copy from the CD to the computer or SD card, then the 1 kb files get copied. They are NOT playable by any mp3 players, including pTunes.

This might explain why you could not play the copied files on your computer either.

If the CD contains mp3, then the files would have names ending with .mp3

Are you sure the files on the CD are mp3 and not cda files ?

If your computer (I assume a Windows computer) is set to [Hide extensions for known file types], then you would NOT be able to easily tell whether a file is an mp3 or a cda file. Normally, by default, a Windows computer come configured with [Hide extensions for known file types].

If the files on the CD are indeed cda files, then you would need to convert the audio files into mp3 format using a CD ripper program, before you can use it for your PDA. On my computer I have Windows Media Player 10, and it has the Rip function, and can rip to mp3 format as well.

With regards to your PDA not able to play your computer's sample mp3 files which you had put onto the SD card, it would NOT be able to do so if your PocketTunes version is 3.1.1 and the "mp3" files are not mp3 but wma (Windows Media Audio) files.

I checked my computer' Sample Music folder, and found that the files there are wma files, and not mp3 files...

Music on my TX?

hhhmmmm.....I'm trying to figure out what they are, but am not able to so far........

what I do know is that it is a burned copy of a CD & when I burn copies of CDs in my laptop (as I did this one) I cannot play those copies in my car, it converts it to a format that my car CD player won't play, BUT my husband's car CD player WILL play the burned CDs. I know that my car CD player is not MP3 compatible, but my husband's is, so I had assumed it was converting them to MP3 files.............

I am not familiar with CDA files, but if that's what's on a regular CD then that's not what these are because they don't play in my car. I should add that the CDs I burned on my old computer I can play in my car, so it's not just that my car can't play burned CDs, it's that the burner on my laptop is converting them into another type of file.

When I look at the properties of each file on the CD they are all roughly 44 bytes in size & size on disc is roughly 2.0 kilobytes

does any of that info help at all??

can I easily undo the "hide known file extensions?"

Music on my TX?

ok, I found that "hide known file extensions" & I unchecked it & went back & I do see that they are CDA files.............so what's the easiest way to get them into MP3 format from either the burned disc or the original disc..........and what format are the files in on a CD that you buy in a store, if you happen to know?

Thanks again for all your help, I REALLY do appreciate it!

Music on my TX?

You would need to convert the cda audio files into mp3 format using a CD ripper program, before you can use it for your PDA.

On my computer I have Windows Media Player 10, and it has the Rip function, and can rip to mp3 format as well.

Alternatively you can use any third-party CD ripper program.

You can find several freeware CD rippers here : http://www.nonags.com/nonags/mp3enc.html

If you do not have time to explore, you mightwant to download this : http://www.bonkenc.org/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information