Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Indie"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

to get back to a subject that was slightly touched on, what about originality in the music world? i mean i have thought about this a bit and is there even any chance of there being another band that really does come along and "invent a genre" or something really "woah" worthy (as was said before)? or are we going to continue to spiral into this trend of blurring and corabining genres into oblivion. not that there is anything wrong with that, maybe the best music ever would be "neo-psychedelic indie arabient folk-pop with post-punk and new wave influences" (although i'm sure there is already music like that being made).

i just mean is there a chance for something truly original or has the music world hit a wall?

"Indie"

Yeah how true. I mean, it's not like I go to see 2 or 3 experimental concerts a month showcasing varying types of expiremental music, from drone to free jazz to, yes, electronic, in DC. And it's not like any other place in the U.S. or the world has their own unique underground music scenes.

And i don't feel like quoting some of the other stupid stuff you said, but believe it or not, yes different areas do have different musical scenes to an extent. You want to see a true blues player pouring their heart and soul through their music? You go to Memphis. You want to hear some good country? I hate country, but I imagine you could find at least one good show in Nashville. DC has a very strong experimental scene, as I mentioned before, and Portland and Seattle are homes to the very type of indie you are complaining about. See, in a way, a lot of cities do have a genre they are well known for. Of course, they aren't all unique, but there's other banRAB in every city too. And I'm afraid it's a sad fact of life that you just won't find as many banRAB and as much diversity outside of big cities. This is because banRAB like to play concerts where there are people to come to their shows. I'm not sure what you were really asking with this, but if I didn't cover it yet, I'd also like to point out that there are indeed lots of underground banRAB that don't play psychedelic electronic influenced music or metal. You just don't know how to find them.

Epic fail. And I managed to take part in the debate, and laugh at how horrible some of these posts were! No offense. I'm still kind of a noob too. Don't take it the wrong way, people just rip into you when say something stupid (or that lots of rab merabers consider stupid). Oh, and just as a heaRAB up, dropping names like that will get you **** sometimes, but it's alright. I hate Radiohead.

And... Welcome to rabroad!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

Try not to get pissy.. you'll make alot of frienRAB if you just laugh things off.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

personally, i don't know what you're getting worked up over. the indie thing has been around for a few years or so, and it'll continue to be around a few years later, but it all falls within the broader scope of the changing face of music. and this pontification you're referring to? that's just a falsehood, the entire 'indie' label is just something that musicians use to work with emergent music fans. suggesting that it's a one-sided die is pretty silly; the whole concept of new music is to take existing styles and blend them until the boundaries for generalization become arbitrary and the distinction between genres fades. that is what encapsulates the beginning of new music.

and while you might consider there to be a 'lag' (which i don't really agree with at all), it's been years since music has entrenched itself in a particular style. what's out there today is one of the most diverse scenes in music.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

i think a lot of good debate and conversation got lost in a ****storm of lol's and talking about whether or not this thread is good or not

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

That's a bad way at looking at it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

It was locked because it was shit. Funnily enough....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

I'm hoping you didn't read my last post... there is not a shortage of great music out there today, I repeat NOT. Read my last post, please.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

And the third half think that the original post is just plain trash.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Indie"

Well, if you're referring to any genre's validity that's debatable I suppose, but you didn't answer my question.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information