Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Apple iPhone 4 (Retina Display) vs SAMSUNG Captivate (Super AMOLED)

The thing is if the iP4 falls it will crack. If the GS falls it will not. The iP4 is a solid glass phone.

I had to root my Captivate to get it to do a lot of things it couldn't do before. So same as jailbreaking in my opinion.

Since it's not against the law to jailbreak, I highly doubt he will ever remote kill jailbroken iPhones. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen - one which he would lose.

Well, Staintless Steel and Glass.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would never buy a phone with AMOLED or even Super AMOLED until Samsung stop using Pentile Matrix tech.

Interestingly, a Pentile display should be called "retina" based more than simple high resolution screens should, since it actually takes into account how the retina sees color, with less resolution needed for red, and less green required. For the natural objects that our eyes evolved to look at, Pentile is perfect.

However, for unnatural things like text, Pentile is nowhere as sharp when held at the same distance on the same resolution screen.

It all depends on how much you read at the lowest zoom level, versus working with images.

For me, sunlight readabilty is more important in real usage. At work, we use transflective LCDs for our field apps, and those are perfect in sunlight. I look forward to trying a Super AMOLED.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

samsung display is just oversaturated... why the colours look so vivid, but it's not necessarily more true to form or realistic... iP4 retina display is THE BEST display out there right now... highest pixel density...

bring up nytimes.com on both (and no zooming) and see which is better...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've been playing with both at home. iPhones screen is better, hands down. Watching YouTube videos that are in HD its like watching 720p vs. 480p with the iPhone as the successor. The only thing that's a plus with the captivate is the actual size. iPhone displays a more natural color while mantaining a VERY sharp display. It really is night and day, even my girlfriend noticed the difference right away and she couldn't care any less about cell phone screens.

And no, I'm far from an apple lover when it comes to cellphones.

I prefer a clean layout. Widgets are clutter.

iPhone layout (2 screens):

The second screen is just folders for applications.

Captivate layout (2 screens):

The second screen is just folders for applications.

No widgets.... no clutter.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen both displays. Definitely iPhone 4 sharper, but Galaxy S has the blackest blacks you will ever see.

In my experience, I will pick a bigger display anytime, no matter how good the smaller displays are. 4.3 > 4 > 3.7 > 3.5. Plain and simple. Even if the 4.3 is just a TFT display, I will still pick that. You simply cannot beat the usability of a bigger display and its long term ease to the eyes, its ability to display more information on screen, to the typing and its convenience to touch input.

Even back the time I had my HTC Magic, with its 3.2" 480x320 display, far beats my Diamond's 2.8" 640x480 display in usefulness, no matter how sharp the Diamond's display is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The iPhone 4 screen IS better, but not enough to make me want to go back to it. The 0.5" extra real estate, Super AMOLED Display and the more forgiving build quality of the Captivate more than make up for the screen.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information