Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    oorwully

Bell TV: Moving to another home questions

Hiya guys, long time reader, first time poster...

I need some advice, moving from an apartment to a house and having the dish professionally installed instead of doing it myself this time. Right now I'm only running a 5900 but because of new amounts of space I'm thinking of adding a HD receiver and possibly one other in the near future.
    My question is, do I require a second receiver now to get more than one line run from the dish, or is it something to mention to the installer to do while he's already running one line. Or can he run four/six c/w switches now? I did try to as the CSR, but I believe the language barrier we were having didn't get my point accross.

thanks!

dosborne

Unplugging a 5900 (or any PVR for that matter) does not necessarily result in the loss of recorded shows. I move mine around all the time within my home and have taken them to other homes to play back shows in extreme (rare) circumstances.

I can only guess that either the HDD got corrupt during the move or some other factor came in to play here, but it is not a normal situation.

dosborne

I've had it done. It was exactly as desribed. First one free, additional cost for additional receivers. If you had the info already, you should have stated that in your original post if you didn't want it to be repeated. Would have saved me time and would have shown you wanted only "extra" info.

Sniper18

I need to grab that extra LNB too? I didnt get the "upgrade" per say but the 9200 (which comes with the two LNB's and the SW44).

As for the cost of the SW44, I know I can get some on ebay for around 80 bucks incluing shipping, but if you buy directly from bell they want 149.99 for them (according to their website... mind you they also want $70 bucks for a replacement UHF remote too)

As I am not moving that far (accross the city), and will legally own both places for about a week overlap, I do not plan to take anything with me in regards to the dish and see what I can get from the bell install guy when he comes. Then anything I cant get from him for free I will come back and get from my old place.

haystack

Angelfish after being a customer of bells for 8 years I'm surprised your so trusting. This is not a swipe at installers as I'm sure they will set you up right but Bell will be responsible for the billing. Best of luck with the install and your new place.

ltldevl

Good for you! A friend of mine did not have a positive experience and that's why I posted this question to find out what other people say regarding their experience. Forums/threads evolve after the first initial message which was generic on purpose. Some people will blow off steam when others will do what you did. And no, I shouldn't have stated that in my first thread because I don't want to influence the direction of the thread. Again, copying the website wasn't what I was looking for or else I would have mentioned that in my initial thread. In the case someone couldn't find that information, thanks for posting it. Btw, I have not seen anything from Bell which went exactly as described.

dosborne

If you are paying for the install, then you can ask the installer for whatever you want, and pay for it of course

The basic install cost covers a very simple setup of a single receiver (in most cases). Additional receivers are setup for additional cost so it would make sense that potential locations for additional receivers would also incur additional costs.

If you are planning on HD in your future and go with a PVR keep in mind that the location for this unit would require a second line.

However, also keep in mind that EV will pay to upgrade your infrastructure (dish, switch and cabling) to move from SD to HD as a one time shot when you make the switch (if renting).

Bottom line, if you plan on renting down the road, I'd go for the basics now and get the free upgrade when you need it. If you plan on buying, I'd at least get 4 lines from the dish to a location to mount your (future) switch (best is to the location where the cablevision cable feeds into your house) now and 2 lines to your main TV area.

Newwestdj

Thanks for the quick reply. Just as I thought - new cabling.
    1. There is already RG6 cabling hanging outside the house and running inside to the basement.
    2. I'll look for the installation guides.

Much appreciated.

Pinza

I agree, that is most certainly a one off situation.

taxtwit

But if the Tech chooses to install a SW44, it's my understanding that Bell is going to charge the customer extra for it, unless the one "free" receiver they are having installed is a dual tuner like a 9200 or 9242.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information