Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    ShikamaChU

Requesting Downloads is NOT Allowed

That was my attempt at being slightly lighthearted and less Nazi-like. ^^
    Which isn't generally a good idea here. Puu~ >_>

In black and White: They're both illegal. Downloading anything without the owner's permission is a copyright violation.
    Illegal is illegal, legal is legal.
    Hitokiri wa Hitokiri.... I loved that line in Kenshin. Couldn't resist. ^^.

I'm not going to debate at all. There's nothing new I could add and it'll end up nowhere anyway ^^

Just some final thoughts and clarification.

One is morally wrong, as if it's licensed and for sale in the US, you're taking money away from the artist, and not supporting the industry, and never will.

Downloading something that's not available in the US is harder to show where it deprives the industry of revenue otherwise possible.
    The eternal question of whether fansubbs are helpful or not rages on.
    In any case, though it’s a pain, if they wanted to persecute, they could.

The Law says if someone is hurting you say by them stealing your copyrighted stuff, you can ask for two things, damages, and punishment.
    Now, if it hasn’t been released in the US, how do you really calculate figure the damage? Was there any? How many sales did they really loose? Could they have gained some with people giving something a shot they might not have?
    I’m not a lawyer and I don’t play one on the internet, but it’s hard to calculate.

ANYWAY: That's a whole can of Beans I'm not getting into.^____^
    (Too scary, all arguments are valid)

….Richard Stallmann.He had some good ideas. I wish they worked ;_;.

Tony K.

Quote Originally Posted by space clam
    Well, follow the rules within reason, of course.
    Of course, of course. I was just trying to tease you a little ^_^'.

Personally, if I were a mod I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with maybe even half of the "violations" I see around here. There're just too many (most of them being very miniscule).

I see lots of one-liners, cosmo threads, and bad grammar, but I don't want to seem like a prick and report each and every one of them (either because I'm too lazy, don't care, or both), not to mention I want to give the mods a break since they've got more important things to do like post news, do interviews, contact office people from all sorts of companies, and so on.

If I see something totally out of line (like "where can I download 'such and such' anime") I'll of course report it, but for the most part I'm pretty lenient and am not bothered at all by what's posted a majority of the time.

biliano

Yeah, that's true :wink:

fighterholic

What about if my website isn't related to anime?

Meson

Dowloading files is legal, provided that the copyright owners permit it, nothing more, nothing less.

THis thread should of been made first.

TranquilSlogan

well that tells all. thanks for being knowledgable and not a floosie download war pirate.

Samurai-with-glasses

Quote Originally Posted by izzymyster
    What about Animes that aren't licened?
    I'm not a staff, but the general consensus is still can't.

I presume ANN wishes to seperate itself from any possible liabilities, especially since the "unlicensed" products are actually most likely licensed in Japan, and both Japan and the United States are signatories of international copyrights laws.

Just google whatever you need. It's easy enough without bothering ANN anyway.

Psycho 101

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KrapSucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane
    There are no 'degrees of legal' - either it is legal, or it is not (i.e. either it breaks a law or it doesn't
    If that were true, than watching illegal fansubs and commiting murder would be the same thing. :roll:
    You're being silly. Severity and legality are two different things. A murderer or a rapist is much more heinous than a petty little teenager wanting to watch free cartoons, yes. BUT they are both still illegal, plain and simple. There is no "how illegal is it?," but rather there's "it's illegal, period, but how horrific are its consequences?" You're trying to claim one is the other, and you're just sounding ridiculous for it.

There's either legal or illegal, nothing in-between.
    As a criminal Justice major I'm gonna have to back Nagisa up on this. There is no in-between, just the consequences. The law is the law, any way you break it you're still breaking it. There's no I broke it 75% versus I broke it 20%. Either you did or you didn't. The severity of how you broke the law determines the outcome for your actions. Obviously Jim Bob the pedophile will get a much harder sentence then Jane Doe the downloader. The CONSEQUENCES are proportional to the crime, not the law itself. Now for the next one;

Quote Originally Posted by Deltakiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane
    There are no 'degrees of legal' - either it is legal, or it is not (i.e. either it breaks a law or it doesn't
    I beg to differ, and my accountant as well. Not only are there loopholes and other way of getting around the law. There are other shades of gray when it comes to laws.
    Ok you and your accountant can just walk off a short pier. Make it a long one if you're a lawyer because if you are you spend your life twisting the law and confusing jurors for your clients. The shades of grey you mention are due to people who go out of their way to make it that way. The grey comes up when lawyers confuse jurors, or someone wants to dispute a law because the punctuation makes it mean something different. Those are examples of how grey comes around. As for getting around the law. Again, only those going out of their way to do it make that happen. You can't be charged for something if there is no law regarding it, that is true. That's where lawyers and other people make their money. Finding those minute details that aren't actual laws yet, or by distorting the already passed laws. There shouldn't be any loopholes at all but thanks to sneaky little weasels there are, and guilty people get off thanks to it while some innocent people suffer due to it. This isn't the case all the time obviously, but it shouldn't happen period. Guilty should be guilty period. There should be more personal responcibility and accountibility then tere is.

sunchan

so, if i only ask the text fansub file for a raw I allready have, is it bad?

biliano

Quote Originally Posted by Meson
    Dowloading files is legal, provided that the copyright owners permit it, nothing more, nothing less.
    Exactly. As long as the owners allow it, it's OK. If they don't, then that's where we have problems. Most often than not, copyright owners do not allow people to download their material, especially from bittorent websites.

The point of this thread is clear: ANN does NOT allow the discussion of download requests or how/where to view them. It's stated in Teh Rules, and I provided the statement that tempest posted a while ago on this very topic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information