Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Nayden-fan868

2007 Academy Awards Discussion

I think that was the point of it. To use all of these stereotypes and twist them to show that we can be wrong

taovande

Don't you think that if Marty doesn't win this year (he's cleaned up nearly every directing award there is--including the DGA) then the Academy might lose its credibility? Even Jon Stewart made a joke of it when Three Six Mafia won and Scorsese still hadn't won. It's beginning to look a bit shady--especially since this movie is clearly deserving.

I think the Academy is hedging it's bets this year by giving Clint Eastwood the Humanitarian award this year---I do think they will get it right this year and Scorsese will win. But like you said--Eastwood's picture is also deserving and I wouldn't be surprised to see him win.

Jacob1983

So Helen Mirren and The Queen are somewhat overrated? It seems like it's hard to make a movie about someone who is still alive.

Jacob1983

I figured that Little Miss Sunshine would shock everyone and win best picture but it didn't. I liked that movie. However, The Departed was the best. That movie was awesome and it really sucks you into the story and characters. It also makes you want to go and visit Boston which I have never done in my life. Leo should have been nominated for The Departed and won but he didn't therefore Forest won for The Last King of Scotland.

The Al Gore and Leo bit was a little over the top. People need to realize that he ain't gonna run for president. It does suck that he got screwed in 2000 but it's time to move on from that.
    Besides, he has an Oscar. However, some people can always that An Inconvenient Truth winning those two oscars might have been politically driven. The same can be said about Happy Feet. It's kinda sad that a movie about innocent friendly penguins has political undertones in it.
    I guess Cars couldn't win the Oscar since cars create so much pollution and that would have sent a bad message or something.

Ellen was funnier than Jon last year. What she said about lying that you're from the Bronx and that you can't read was hilarious.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

if there is a surpise, i hope it's LMS winning BP. still only like the movie a little bit, but it would be so awesome if it won BP since it's not the typical Oscar film

all i care about is Martin,Jennifer and Eddie winning. And i can't wait to see Ellen host. Aside from that, not really interested in them this year lol

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i'm using your system lol

Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

I like LMS but don't love it. But i would love to see a film like it win Best Picture

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

I want Will to win so bad. He was so amazing in TPOH

Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."
    i'm having a hard time with this one lol, so i bolded 2

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

Eddie got both italics and bold from me. I loved him in DG and i think it is one of his best performances in his entire career.

Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

Jennifer got 2 from me like eddie did lol. Managing to actually pull off 1 of the greatest broadway characters of all time? she gets major props from me for that.
    And Cate got 2 from me too lol

Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

if he doesn't win, i'm seriously getting over there and storming the stage

Nayden-fan868

1. Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

2. Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

3. Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

5. Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

6. Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

7. Foreign Language Film: "After the Wedding," Denmark; "Days of Glory (Indigenes)," Algeria; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Water," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, "Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal."

9. Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Iris Yama****a and Paul Haggis, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House."

11. Art Direction: "Dreamgirls," "The Good Shepherd," "Pan's Labyrinth," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "The Prestige."

12. Cinematography: "The Black Dahlia," "Children of Men," "The Illusionist," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Prestige."

13. Sound Mixing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Dreamgirls," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

14. Sound Editing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

15. Original Score: "Babel," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Good German," Thomas Newman; "Notes on a Scandal," Philip Glass; "Pan's Labyrinth," Javier Navarrete; "The Queen," Alexandre Desplat.

16. Original Song: "I Need to Wake Up" from "An Inconvenient Truth," Melissa Etheridge; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; "Love You I Do" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; "Our Town" from "Cars," Randy Newman; "Patience" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

17. Costume: "Curse of the Golden Flower," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Marie Antoinette," "The Queen."

18. Documentary Feature: "Deliver Us From Evil," "An Inconvenient Truth," " Iraq in Fragments," "Jesus Camp," "My Country, My Country."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Blood of Yingzhou District," "Recycled Life," "Rehearsing a Dream," "Two Hands."

20. Film Editing: "Babel," "Blood Diamond," "Children of Men," "The Departed," "United 93."

21. Makeup: "Apocalypto," "Click," "Pan's Labyrinth."

22. Animated Short Film: "The Danish Poet," "Lifted," "The Little Matchgirl," "Maestro," "No Time for Nuts."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)," "Eramos Pocos (One Too Many)," "Helmer & Son," "The Saviour," " West Bank Story."

24. Visual Effects: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Poseidon," "Superman Returns."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alan Arkin winning was fine by me because he (and Abigail) were the positive things about Little Miss Sunshine. I wasn't and am still not sold on Wahlberg's performance and thought, if anything, his spot should have gone to Damon, even if Wahlberg had a lot of memorable quotes.

Anyways, Arkin and Breslin were the glue that held LMS together. I enjoyed the movie and all, but I feel the main reason this gets as much praise as it does is mostly due to Steve and his "newfound" rising star in Hollywood. LMS was one of those "it was good, but it wasn't that good" movies... and giving it an Oscar nomination? Well, I guess the Academy needed a fifth nomination and couldn't find another worthy film...

Just me though.

taovande

Just a few thoughts.

The show ran way long--but it wasn't completely boring. Ellen really made things fun with her little things (vacuuming, myspace pictures with Clint, Scripts to Scorsese, etc). I didn't like how they held the supporting awards til later in the show than normal.

I actually cheered when Eddie Murphy lost. I would have been even happier if Mark had won instead--but Alan Arkin was great as well--so I was thrilled!

Can I just say Helen Mirren is one hot lady.

Everytime they cut to Kate Winslet in the audience she looked like she was about to cry...this was most evident when Al Gore and Leo were on stage--she just looked so proud of Leo.

As for the comments about Tobey and Kirsten looking uncomfortable on stage...maybe he just didn't want to stand next to her horrible dress?

I also wished that Jennifer Hudson wouldn't have won--but oh well.

Sooo happy when Marty won--I actually cheered out loud with my sister.

The Departed was my favorite movie of the year--and I seriously didn't think it would win--I figured the battle was between Little Miss Sunshine and Babel. So I was super excited when it was announced for Best Picture.

*Dominique*

RE: Eddie storming off.

I know it sucks to lose especially when you have been the favorite till the beginning. Everybody had been saying that Eddie would win and it was his year and etc. so of course he had hopes and I understand them but storming off the KT? How old is he? Losing is part of the game so you do what all of the other losers did that night, you put a fake smile on your face and you stay till the end. I remember the year Will Smith was nominated for Ali. They left before his category came on but it was because one of their children was really sick and they had to go. It was an emergency... So Eddie had planned on leaving early? Not good enough for me... especially since I think he would have stayed if he had won. I need a better explanation to make me stop thinking of him as a bad loser who acted like a child that night. I cannot believe that he left. It sucks that he lost (for him) but get over it and fake a smile and enjoy the rest of the night especially since J.Hud category and the Dreamgirls medley were coming up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information