Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Seeking Sunrise

LPR as something else, falsely being treated as acid reflux? Probably...

LSN is diagnosed, according to David Sychamore's important article in october 2008 ENT Today:

Mainly by patient history. If the patient can remeraber the acute onset of the symptoms (chronic cough/globus/throat clearing/odynopagia), then chances are you are dealing with LSN.

There are also physical searches and something to do with electrical stimulation of the larynx. With that, they can sense nurabness or paralysis of the different parts of the larynx, like the vocal folRAB.

Seeking Sunrise

Very interesting. I'll be in touch with you. You've gone through a lot but I find it interesting that a fold was drooping. Vocal fold paresis is the classic proof of laryngeal motor neuropathy.

I'm glad you are on elavil. It's no surprise at all that it's helped you. Add lyrica, my friend. It is strange to think, but I believe that those type of drugs will stop this much better than any ppi, even if there were a stomach component.

Sheepdog12

Hi,

I've been taking Lyrica for two weeks now and I firmly believe that it is helping to alleviate the throat problems I've had since last February. My problems began with a severe cold that originated in my larynx and spread to my sinus. In fact, I suffered two colRAB like this within a three-week period, and then suffered a third last October. I was starting to feel better at the end of Septeraber until I caught that third cold. At the time, I'd been using prescription strength Prilosec for almost two months. Due to the fact that my symptoms began with viral infections and were aggravated by recurring infections, I began to suspect nerve-damage. Thus, I asked my doctor if I could try Lyrica. She suggested that Neuropathic Pain could take several months to heal properly. Thus, it is still a bit too early for me to expect any sort of full recovery. My most persistent problems have been the following:

(1) Excessive throat-clearing (but this has not been a problem over the last month).

(2) Hoarseness and vocal fatigue

(3) Painful Speaking (Odynophonia)

(4) Globus Sensation

(5) Burning sensation in the voicebox

Furthermore, after I caught my second cold in February, I had the worst cough I ever experienced in my life. It lasted about three weeks. But for the last four months, I haven't coughed much at all. While I was sick in October I experienced some mild coughing in the morning, and this symptom did not subside for about two weeks. After three weeks of incessant throat-clearing, I began to feel better during the first week of Noveraber. However, when I took an enzyme supplement called Clear-Ease I experienced severe burning in my Larynx which lasted about three weeks. I hadn't quite felt the same since taking this supplement, which must have caused further nerve damage. However, the Lyrica definitely seems to be helping me in several ways, although I have experienced some deleterious side-effects. I've compiled a list of the positive and negative side-effects:

Postive:

(1) Virtually eliminated the burning sensation in my larynx (one day, it seemed to give almost instant relief of this symptom; I haven't experienced this symptom for 10 days).

(2) Greatly reduced my globus sensation.

(3) Greatly reduced my odynophonia (Pain upon using the voice; I had it in both my upper and lower larynx).

(4) It seems to enhance my mood for the better. I'm somewhat happier since taking it.

Negative:

(1) Mild headaches.

(2) I still have a sharp, mild pinching sensation in my larynx that comes and goes, almost as though there are some tiny pins stuck in my voicebox. I mention this because it seemed to intensify about two days after starting the Lyrica. However, after the first week, it evened out and has felt about the same ever since.

(3) Prior to taking Lyrica, I suffered from an intense burning sensation in my right ear, particularly where my right ear joins with my throat. That had disappeared by Septeraber after I'd been taking Prilosec for several weeks. However, on the third day of taking Lyrica, that sensation returned. It was quite intense for a few days, but after the first week it was not as bad. It's been about the same since last Wednesday.

(4) It causes dry mouth, which seems to exacerbate my upper larynx to a certain extent. I don't experience anywhere near the degree of pain that I felt a month ago after taking the Clear-Ease, but I do feel some mild pain that I don't think I would feel if not for the Lyrica.

Let me know if any of you have taken Lyrica and are experiencing any of these side-effects or benefits. I'm supposed to touch base again with my doctor in a couple of weeks. I'm only taking 75 mg twice a day. We may decide to increase the dosage, or even switch to a different medicine. I'll submit another post after another two weeks.

Happy New Year everybody!

Seeking Sunrise

Hi,

Just an update. I took lyrica for a couple weeks now, and my symptoms totally improved, especially with globus.
    However, it is not a complete cure all, because I didn't sleep last night, thinking it was my last night in Germany. I tied one on. I also didn't take lyrica for a day for that reason..
    Today I feel not so great. Anyway, this last week I felt more or less normal again so I kind of took it for granted and pushed a little too far.
    I'll sleep now and hopefully things will go back to how they were for the last two weeks.
    But yes, I noticed that when my symptoms did go away, the feeling was reduced to a small corner on the left of my larynx. That just seems to confirm that it is a type of neuropathy...
    Anyway, I'll continue with updates, but lyrica is definitely looking into, and it did wonders for my painful swallowing and globus.

Seeking Sunrise

marigold, your story is identical to mine. you already had the guy tell you its nerves.

Lyrica is pretty low side-effects. I know it freaks you out, (especially considering how your "LPR" started) but either try that, or just endure because better ones are going to come out in the next few years.

Either way, you have to silence the nerves. I can tell that's what I'm facing too. You are pretty stoic to just put up with it. At least you aren't on those stupid ppis anymore.

PhilGER

It's very possible that some suspected LPR cases are a nerval thing, but most LPR sufferers also experience chest pains etc that can't be explained through such things.

There's a relatively simple way of telling, whether it's LPR or not: Pepsin immunoassay & ph/impedance probe or symptoms + hiatal hernia. If one of those is positive = LPR.

Paula319

Hi .. I'm not worried about the cancer risk either. I have rheum arthritis and take some meRAB that can increase cancer risk but my r/a is now with these medications is under control and I can finally lead a better quality improved life that its not something I dwell on. I didn't mean for it to sound like it was something I feared the most or wanted anyone to be fearful. I am a cancer survivor and wanted to mention. When I did my search, that was one of the differences of GERD and LPR. The LPR had a risk of squamous cell cancer of the larnyx and rare risk of esophogeal adenomcarcinoma. The GERD info stated that is had no risk of the squamous but risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma.

There is an increased risk of cancer as we age anyway. I've had other illnesses that mimic cancer but didn't have cancer. Just be vigilant about check ups and getting your tests done when needed.

So..didn't mean to sound like I was fear mongering. I'll try to post that site.

Xhale12

I have LPR as well.

What about the hiccuping all the time? The severe acidic taste in the back of my throat? The build up of phlegm I get in my mouth and throat every day? Especially my voice, which has gotten VERY hoarse. The act of talking has become painful. While I don't get conventional heartburn, those symptoms sure do seem alot like an acid reflux problem. I don't have any cough though...

gpinzone

BTW for those suffering with coughs that dont go away google "chronic cough vocal fold paresis" you will see an extensive article by Jamie Koufman that describes each senario and medication treatments.

If you read this you can see not everyone is exactly the same. In some cases PPIs work , some need PPI's + TCAs or nuero drugs, and some just need TCA's.
    My point is....
    Without the proper tests your just guessing.

gpinzone

Ok

I looked it up you put that stuff in your mouth and cheek. I do take digestive enzymes which contain those ingredients but its pill form. They are really ment to help breakdown food in your stomach. I would never put that stuff in your mouth. No wonder it was burning after a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information