Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blog Talkback: Toons of the 2000s: Top 5 Animated Features

Hey man, I like Ziro. =/

And tbqh, I liked the movie, but I don't think it's one of 'the best'. The cartoon show (esp. the second season which, so far, has rivaled most anime I've been forced to watch) has gotten a lot better and the animation has greatly improved over the movie.

I adore Titan A.E., but I still wouldn't include it on that list. Good idea, poorly voice-acted and executed. There are several songs on the movie's soundtrack that I still listen to, with my favorite being Electrasy's Cosmic Castaway.

So, far as Clone Wars goes, we're in disagreement there. I think it really only has lasting appeal to staunchly committed fans of the franchise. If the latest live-action trilogy hadn't done enough to chase me away, the Clone Wars film and show drove a permanent wedge between us.

Coming in late on this one, but I haven't really had time for fan forums this year.

It's funny -- I questioned some titles included as "honorable mentions" but didn't question any of the top 5. But of the top 5, I've only seen Spirited Away anyway. I'm so ashamed! I've missed out on a lot of animation in this decade due to life stuff, and I haven't seen more than half of the films that made this list.

But of those I have seen, here's some I don't feel should have been honorable mentions:

- Treasure Planet
    While it's a great visual spectacle, that's exactly what I feel caused the film to lose its focus. The core of the story is Jim Hawkins and his adventure, and his relationship with Long John Silver. But it seems Disney got sidetracked during production on this film. First, they became enamored with their new toys -- advances in computer-animation (and an attempt to compete with then-rival Pixar). These "toys" seemed used just because they could (like making Silver a 2D/3D hybrid). It also appeared as though Disney got caught up in trying to make the film *epic* in a sci-fi spin on a classic adventure story and make Silver an even larger-than-life and more outrageous character than he was in the original.

In the process, I feel Disney lost sight of the heart of Stevenson's story and what makes it memorable and timeless.

- Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    The boy in me wants to love this film, but the animation critic in me refuses because it's just too flawed. It had many good things going for it, but it fell apart in the execution.

- Meet The Robinsons
    This movie is like watching a mash-up of three different films, and what takes place in the middle is a smattering of quirky characters (which is what the book originally was) rapidly introduced but they don't help to advance the plot. They're more of a diversionary time-filler. And sadly, that's actually the most interesting part of the film.

And this movie is also something of an odd duck for Disney since it was in production during the Disney/Pixar merger, which brought in John Lasseter as producer. If it had been released without Lasseter's involvement (he helped change more than half the film), it could very well have been a much different film and possibly a complete box office flop for Disney.

And while the movie has some redeemable qualities and charm, overall it's just weak -- especially when compared with Pixar's films and even some of Dreamwork's better CG-features. And thus it bothers me that it's considered a "Walt Disney Animated Classic".

(And don't even get me started on "Chicken Little.")

- The Road to El Dorado
    Just mediocre overall. And proof that celebrity voice casting does not automatically equal big box office returns. The film's budget was $95 mil, and it only made $75 mil total worldwide. Even after home video release, it barely broke even.

- The Simpsons Movie
    It just wasn't very memorable for me. Perhaps if it had been produced earlier in the Simpsons' history (like 15 years earlier) before most of the best gags had already been done on the show, I might have enjoyed it more. Also, I'm sick of animated entertainment (esp. primetime animation) being continually used as a platform for proselytizing and affirmative action. And the anti-political subtext of this film was an annoying distraction.

I for two agree with you.

Only if this list were made by Star Wars fans. But the Clone Wars feature film was largely panned by critics and animation fans. Heck, there were a lot of SW fans who didn't like it either. There have been single episodes of the TV series that were better than the feature film.

And I really enjoyed Titan A.E. too, but Harley nailed everything that's right and wrong with it. I don't think it deserved to make the list either.

That is a valid point. Also, Hellboy: Blood and Iron was a D2V release.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've only seen two movies on that list....I liked the honorable mentions though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information