Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 178 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music

Great thread, I've agreed with everything so far. I'll be impressed if he can take this all the way to #1.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

39 : Electronic Music Sub Genres

Now metal takes a lot of stick for having a ridiculous amount of stupid sub genres but I've always thought that at least the names they give them are pretty self explanatory. Or it could be i'm more familiar with metal , I don't know. I suspect the answer is probably a corabination of the two.

On the other hand I just look at the amount of sub genres in electronic music and I am just baffled by it. I have absolutly no idea what most of them mean. As far as I am concerned there are only really 3 worth bothering with and here is my interpretation of them...

Trance - Boring floaty stuff
    House - Uptempo dancy stuff
    Experimental - BBC sound effects album

That's not to say I wouldn't listen to anything else as I regually listen to a lot of electronic music from time to time I just take it as I hear it and ignore all the stupid sub genres it may be listed under. I have no idea what Illbient , Nortec , Ghettotech , Glitch , Dirty electronic , Jumpstyle , Chemical breaks or Darkcore are, and quite honestly I couldn't care less either.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this isnt a list for you to proclaim your dislikes.
    read the first post.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know it's only one criteria , but it's the one you bought up.
    I mentioned two albums from that year that I preferred over OK Computer , you were the one that mentioned influence so I mentioned another album that could claim to be just as or if not even more so than Radiohead. I know they're not that Mogwai are not the only Post Rock band but most of the ones I have heard sound a lot closer to them than Tortoise.
    But that isn't really the point. The point is I named two albums from that year I liked more than OK Computer and all the influence that album has in the world makes no difference when it's me sitting here listening to them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

well why did you bring up In Rainbows of all albums when no mention of Radiohead was made prior to that?

Thats the norm around here, don't you know that? if you dont lick the asses of some of the banRAB here that everyone goes ape**** over, you "dont know what you're talking about", or "you have no taste in music...blah blah ****ing blah".

I'm not a fan of alot of current music, I try to stay open minded as much as i can, despite what you might read. To me, it all sounRAB the same, banRAB trying to sound like so and so, and do what so and so did.

Sometimes, I get a laugh out of this place. I once said I thought Nirvana was overrated, and then received a barrage of "You don't know what you're talking abouts" from a ton of folks. I'm sorry, I think the the band is overrated. Deal with it.

Also, Urban made a post about how everything on the radio is pretty much crapola, when he says it in a post, it's funny, and folks go on and on about how much they agreed w/him. Yet, when i said how much I hated current radio, and thought that 95% of the stuff being played on it, is garbage...I get a barrage of "You dont know what the **** you're talking abouts" from people. Hypocritical to say the least.

While I like Urban, and find his lists to be hysterical, and usually dead on, I just found it to be funny how so many came to his side(or someone else's) who made the exact same statements I made? then when I said them?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How is Oh My Gawd a bad album? And Radiohead still released Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows in this decade and they were all good and consistent.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Allman Brothers should be considered blues rock, not Southern rock. Allman Brothers being classified as Southern rock would ruin my whole day.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

First things first; I hate all of the banRAB you mentioned. However, if you ignore the "rock" tag, they're far less annoying. Really, the "rock" label is hopelessly overused (and more importantly, misused). "Blood On The Tracks" is an amazing album, but it's not rock. Critics who call it a rock album annoy me, but that has no effect on the music itself.

I mean, people call Steely Dan "soft rock," but come on...it's great music, but not "rock."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

his voice was an acquired taste for me... it took me a while to get over the fact he sounded like my Grandmother in the morning. Now I can listen to them and enjoy it... but they're not one of my favorites. I heard some of his post GnR work.. sounRAB like his voice is getting worse as the years go on, maybe from all the years of using a false range as his gimmick?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information