Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

D.Gray-Man: the anime TV series talkback

Although I'm usually fine with manga to anime transitions, I have to say that I'm really dissatisfied in D. Gray-Man's anime series. The reasoning isn't the voices or the acting, but the actual artwork pales in comparison to the actual manga. Especially episodes 5 through 7 have made me feel this way.

When it was first previewed in Shonen Jump, I was drawn in by not only the storyline, but the artwork as well. I ended up buying the volumes when they were released, and I was really impressed with how it looked. Especially the Millenium Earl--in chapters 3 and 4, the Earl's look with the black eyes and the black outlined mouth when he had closeups were actually pretty creepy looking, in contrast to his normal view. But in the show, disappointingly enough, Hoshino's art style isn't represented as well.

The character designs themselves definitely need some work, especially Yu Kanda. They look different, and not in a good way. Another thing is that the top red mark on Allen's eye is nowhere to be found when he uses his Anti-Akuma Weapon against the Level Two Akuma and the battle with the Millenium Earl in the graveyard after he purifies himself from the virus. Is this just an error, or is it intentional?

The battle in episode 5 against the Level Two Akuma actually looked pretty cool, but it still lacked something that made the battle in the manga seem more furious. Episode 7's Cross Grave wasn't even remotely as amazing as it was shown in the manga, where Allen wipes out over triple the amount of those Akuma with the attack and the energy surges up into a spiraling wave into the air. In the anime, it hits six akuma and they explode in a Gundam Seed style fashion.

Another complaint is the actual animation in the episodes. It's not that great most of the time. It looks good in some important scenes, but a majority of the time it's nothing impressive at all.

Also, what's with the faded colors every episode? It certainly can set the mood for some chapters, but it gets really boring after a while. I don't appreciate how so many songs they use sound like a variation of that one main orchestrated theme they played when Allen released Claire's Akuma in the first episode either.

I hope they fix this, but I have my doubts. But my opinion is that the series got put into the hanRAB of the wrong people for the job.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're also forgetting that the show seems more like a censored version of the manga. A lot of the blood, macabre decapitations, and adult jokes seem to be toned down. It's mostly due to the fact that the show airs on prime time television in japan and viewing regulations are much different there.

While the series is starting to pick up steam with the Noah family arc, it doesn't seem to pack a lot of punch like the original manga did.

I actually thought that was a really really good episode and one of the few times I actually teared up. The ending lullaby with Lala was incredibly powerful.

As for my episode reviews, I can't make much time for them every week because I'm also in the middle of finals right now so time on the internet is very limited.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's not the blood I'm worried about, really. Sure, the anime has blood censored out, but that's completely understandable. It's the other changes that are completely unnecessary that bother me. What's the point of editing Allen's character design to get rid of the top red mark on his eye when he uses his Anti-Akuma weapon? Why do some of the character models like Yu Kanda look different from the manga version in every scene? What's the point of adding Lenalee and Toma to episodes 6 and 7 where they're not even really necessary? The visuals are really my main problem, because they differ so much.

That's the problem. I miss that punch the series had to it. Allen's coolest moments seem to be toned down a lot (Compare the end of episode five to the visual in chapter three of Allen after he purifies himself--the anime version is severely disappointing), and it's really unfortunate. It puzzles me as to why they would actually want to make the changes they do, but whatever.

Don't get me wrong--episode 5 was probably my favorite one so far. And it's still pretty powerful. But it still suffers from problems shown in just about every episode. It's really upsetting, because D. Gray-Man is one of my favorite manga series right now even though I've only read three volumes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, this thread hasn't been used in awhile, but I figured it'd be better to bump it than to start a new one.

I've been loving D.Grayman's anime lately. We've had a lot of interesting stuff, especially with the current search for General Cross. This current story is particularly interesting, with all the Akuma being created in the town, and Allen and Lenalee not noticing at first.

The previous episode also gave some good development for Crowley.

So, who else is still keeping up with this show?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am. I've been following it regularly (unlike with Death Note) and I'm liking the series thus far. There looks to be some major revelations coming up in the next few episodes which could really help this show explode into full gear.

One thing I have been noticing is that there were a lot of complaints for the so-called "filler" episodes taking up too much of the main storyline. However, some people are not realizing that these "fillers" are based on the reverse novels for the series. So, it really isn't filler as many are led to believe. This current arc with the "seller of souls" is based on the first chapter of the D.Gray-Man reverse novel and it's pretty good so far. Heh, the director looks like Alex Louis Armstrong...with hair!

Let's also not forget about Crowley being the new meraber of the Black Order and Allen getting his upgraded eye!

Somehow, I don't know if this show will end at 52 episodes. The manga is still going and there are much more stories to be told. I wouldn't be surprised if TV Tokyo renewed D.Gray-Man for another 52 episodes after these episodes are done.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, people are too quick to use the 'filler' word, since this actually is canon. Plus, regardless of that, the stories are really good. I definitely noticed the Doctor looking like Armstrong. I'm pretty sure he's an Akuma, though. Although I wonder how Allen couldn't tell.

I definitely agree it's going to go longer than 52 episodes. Manga still running and the anime doesn't seem to be trying to chop the story down, either. I'm sure it'll keep going.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hope so. I hear that there are even more character changes for Allen and Linalee in the future judging from what the manga has so far. And I hear that these changes are absolutely vital to the overall storyline.

Episode 30 should've aired by now. I'd like to see the conclusion to this little two parter.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I stopped for a while waiting for volume 5 of the manga (a must buy by the way). I was right before the Krory/Crowley episodes. I might catch up soon.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many volumes of the manga are out already by Viz? Last I checked, there were only 4.

In japan, there are 10 out right now with #11 coming out soon.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Volume 5 just came out. Viz said it was going to be realized in May, but they usually realized their Shonen Jump SJ Advanced titles a couple weeks earlier. But now it's a long wait till August for volume 6.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information