Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

Yep... precisely :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    but don't you think it's more important to actually be able to afford the hardware to run your site first?
    I don't think that is the member's problem.

I donate because I like how a website is ran... Not because I want to make sure the server bill is payed by the end of the month.
    You shouldn't create a tracker with the assumption that the bill will be payed in donations every month...

In addition I pay dearly for my internet bill every month, so I find it highly offensive that you regard seeding as a lesser to donors.
    Matter of fact if your a seeder, you are a donor. Your using your bandwidth which is money in today's world.

I could use a 56k modem and donate 5 dollars a month and save tons of of money. But I am more concerned about people receiving their files.
    I think you may be missing my point a little...

I'm not saying seeders efforts are any lesser in value towards the site than those who donate financially to the running costs, I fully acknowledge seeders are effectively the life blood of the the tracker in so far as they NEED to be there to share files...

The point I was making, as ringhunter so eloquently put it, was that there would be nowhere to seed if the finances weren't in place to afford the hosting.

I understand what you say about not starting a tracker if you can't afford it, and about not having to rely on donations each month, and I fully agree with you, however... as a trackers success grows, and member base becomes bigger etc, then doesn't it make sense that eventually upgrades would be required to cope with increasing demands? Possibly outwith what the Site Owner initially was able to afford... and I think this is where donations become important, hence my belief that there's nothing wrong with offering an additional incentive to those offering money to the running costs

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterStep
    TT gives you invites for donating. (its the only way of getting invites or you get in touch with a guy called Imm**** on TT.(his account is deleted. )
    my bad

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

Quote Originally Posted by Zac090 View Post
    I think the uploaded and downloaded data is also taken into consideration and not just the age of the account in such cases.(PU requirements perhaps? :ermm: )

Just chat on the open irc channel for a few months and you will be invited once you get to know the staff and people there.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

0-day tracker isn't meant for retention though. Vast majority of scene releases are use and throw stuff.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

invites for donators only, as always... that's what i call invite selling. good job Brandon.

FTN opened the doors!

Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    yes there is since only donators get invites.
    brandon perfectly knows that ftn invites are much coveted by his members and that many of them are willing to donate to have a chance of getting one.

not everyone who donated received an invite but there is one thing for sure: only donators receive invites... go figure.
    one again, great logic th0r

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

If TVcontrolyou is talking strictly dedicated trackers, then I see his point. Seeding a shitload of music torrents is way more helpful than donating a few dollars, or auto-ing all 2010 FLAC/v0 releases on kimsufi's.

On 0day sites, seeding for a long time isn't really that important. If it is any trouble or bother to you, you're probably better off deleting the torrent and saving yourself the grief than letting it idle in your client to be a statistic on the tracker. As long as a torrent gets snatches it will live. When snatches die off, it's not really crucial to 'archive' it. (0day ≠ general)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

In most cases the repeat donors that keep a tracker alive do so because they like the place, not because they are expecting perks out of it. In simpler terms, putting more incentives out for donors will only increase the amount of donors not the amount of donations from the current donors.

FTN opened the doors!

Quote Originally Posted by chinchi11as View Post
    0-day tracker isn't meant for retention though. Vast majority of scene releases are use and throw stuff.
    I perfectly understand that, but you have to admit that it gets annoying not finding content that was only pre'd 6 months prior to you searching.

Look for a certain pattern in all the trackers that are called "the best" in their line of releases. Their oldest torrents are 3+ years old, with seeders still on it. There's no doubt that a proper retention is required of any tracker, even the biggest scene ones like SCC/TL etc.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FTN opened the doors!

Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post
    I am a bit perplexed about the animosity over the decision to change their invite policy to something not really that much different than the pre-existing policy, but I guess I'm just easily confused.
    Name one legitimate member that was invited through this donor invite session.

Even if you come up with one name , I can assure you there are 10 traders that got in for that 1 legit user.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information