Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wi Fi Issues

Wi Fi Issues

Bought the girlfriend a T/X for xmas. We are running a linksys wireless network with a WRT54GSV4 wireless G router with WPA security. When we start the web function, it finds the network no problem. However, the browser can't load any pages. I've tried a bunch of my favs. The biggest problem is when we connect to the network via the T/X, we lose Internet and email capabilities on our home pcs. I must restart the home pc to regain Internet access. After several attempts I looked up the Palm support pages. Found absolutely no help. Will I need to switch my wireless over to a WEP security setting? Anyone have a similar problem or at least suggestions to help.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wi Fi Issues

You can use WPA on the TX. That is what i have configured. I have a D-link DI-524 (think that is the model #). I had to update the the flash in the router to get the latest capability. Remember that the TX uses 802.11b while you have your desktop PCs using 802.11g protocols. Usually when you connect the TX to the network, you force everyone (the desktops included) to drop to 802.11b mode. The cheap "home remedy" routers only have a single radio, so they cannot support multiple protocols and frequencies simultaneously the way Cisco and Aruba can . It's an either-or design.

I don't have the problem with my D-Link where I have to restart my desktops; the desktop speed drops to .11b when I connect the TX and bumps back up to .11g when I drop the connection. I am guessing you have the radio configured to a single mode (g, in your case). Take a look at the router settings to see if you can set the Tx/Rx to an "auto" sensing mode. This will allow the radio to jump to the lowest common frequency/mode available to all connecting machines (this is totally independant of security protocol). You will also have to check the settings on the PC wireless cards in your PCs for an auto mode as well. There should be an auto setting for them. You may also have to usdate the drivers and/or ROM on the PC cards as well.

Cheers,
    John

Wi Fi Issues

Thanks for the reply. Totally new to this Wireless network thing and didn't even realize the b and g thing. Will try reconfiguring both palm and pc and see if it works.

Wi Fi Issues

Dampman,

Did you ever solve this issue? I got a TX yesterday and have exactly the same issue. It makes the wireless connection no problem (I am using 128bit 26HEX) but it will not then look uop any web sites an gives me the "connot find requested page" message. Whats more I can PING the device from another PC on the network so I know its got a connection......Most frustrating

I'm using a 2Wire wireless router that is infact a b device so I'm pretty sure this is nothing to do with issues between g anb b.

G.P

Wi Fi Issues

I am actually able to display the routers WEB page on the TX by typing in its IP address http://172.16.0.1 buyt not by typing in http://home. This proves that there is a wireless connection and that the browser works. It seems therefore to be a name lookup issue so if I lookup http://www.apple.com this will not work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Wi Fi Issues

Well I've just obtained the IP address of google and if I type this in http://64.233.183.104 I get the google site displayed!!!! Hooray. Now has anyone any idea how and where the names are resolved inito IP addresses as this seems to be the issue.

G.P

Wi Fi Issues

OK here is the solution:

It appears that the TX is not picking up the names from the 2wire router. So what I did was look at the 2 DNS addresses on the Routers "Broadband Link - Details" screen and have typed these into the wifi set up advanced settings under DNS server "manual' settings. Note that I've not touched the Blazer settings at all.

I can't take the credit for this as its under another forum but well hidden which I found by typing "2wire DNS lookup" into Google.

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=47270

Hope this helps all in a similar situation.

G.P

Wi Fi Issues

Its odd that you had to go through all that. I've connected to the web through more than a dozen different routers and have never had to do anything with the DNS setting. It's always been set to Automatic. I wonder what you'll find when you try to connect through another router.

Wi Fi Issues

I had to get rid of the Linksys system and go with the Netgear brand of wireless router and it worked right away.

Wi Fi Issues

Glad you got Netgear to work.

Just to set the record straight: dampman's experience not withstanding, the TX WILL work with Linksys. I've connected to the web through Linksys routers, both b and g, with and without WEP security. Required no special configuration of either the router or the TX.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information