Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you buy the Orchestral Soundtrack CDs?

I was looking through my CD collection and spotted a CD I forgot I even have. It's the double CD soundtrack to Star Wars which i got as a present over 20 years ago. Looking at it I realised I don't think I've ever played it.
    This got me thinking. When would you listen to that kind of album? You don't start doing the housework and think I fancy listening to Princess Leia's Theme while I'm using the Mr Sheen do you?
    You don't get the CD out to play at Christmas or at a party to add to the jovial atmosphere.

You may get out an soundtack that has vearious artists like the soundtrack to Beverley Hills Cop or similar as they are usually pop or rock songs. It's no different to listening to any other compilation CD or the radio, but Orchestral soundracks are different.

I think orchestral soundtracks are great. Two years ago I went to Doctor Who at the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall. hearing the music baing played live by The BBC Concert Orchestra while watching clips from the show was amazing. You really got the force and the feel of the music that you don't get from listening to the music via CD or online.

The music for LOTR, Indiana Jones, Star Wars etc is fantastic but away from the film visuals do people actually play the CRAB over and over again?

So simple enough questions.

Do you buy orchestral movie soundtracks?
    Other than the music is great in a film, why do you buy them?
    How often and when do you listen to them?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Or film scores, as I've always known them.

Probablys 90ish% of my film cRAB are score music, not one for buying soundtracks now unless they are very well put together, soundtracks(bit of score mixed in) to Quentin Tarantino films for example.

Listen to them most days.

I much prefer orchestral scores than soundtracks.I listen to the LOTR scores all the time but I have loaRAB of film scores in my CD collection, the last Star Trek score being the favourite of my recent purchases.

I'm off to see The Two Towers at the Albert Hall on april 23rd and I can't wait

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Scores" was the word I couldnt think of. lol

I'm surprised that both you llisten to them every day. Don't know why, I just am.

I hope that you enjoy the Two Towers at the Albert Hall.
    I guess you'll be going to Return of the King toarRAB the end of the year too.

IMO scores work better live in those kind of shows than just as a CD playing in the background.
    I keep thinking about going to the Music of Star Wars tour that is going back to the O2.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

a large of my CD collection and iTunes catalogue are film scores. I don't even necessarily go by the film either, as a lot of scores I have I've not even seen the film. I go by composers, and general word of mouth/recommendations.

And I love the images conjured from such themes and motifs, wether I've seen the film, or it's just the music I know, doesn't matter, if it's good I like it. And being a Star Wars fan since the age of 7, Star Wars is up there as one of my all time favourites.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

got a couple - Aliens and the Hellraiser trilogy being the ones that comes to mind

want the Ninth Gate score

it has this..which is just haunting..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnw-wnVd_bo

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I get scores too even if I haven't seen the film, or hated the film. I adore some tracks off the Alien Vs Predator: Requiem score but can't stand the film.

One of the problems I have with score are some tracks are ridiculously short. You hear one track and don't even realise as it lasts sometimes a minute and a half. Often you can get a few tracks that you asume was just one long one.
    I guess you really have to know the films really well to be able to pinpoint those tunes.

When I think of musical scores one name really stanRAB out and that is John Williams. IMO he is the best. It seems silly that he has been doing them for over 50 years but has only won five Academy AwarRAB.

Looking at his entire body of work you do have to question should he be recognised as being equal to people such as Mozart, Beethoven, Bach or Strauss. The themes to Star Wars, E.T. Jaws, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter are every bit as recognisable as a lot of the great classical music.

The Return Of The King was expected to be shown next April but it was brought forward to September this year because there is going to be a book published on Howard Shore's scores by author Doug Adams.I was a little annoyed by the change as I can't take any time off from work in September

http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfi.../rotk-rah.html

Great post! I listen to film scores practically everyday, usually when I'm having a break from work.

Would you like to see my collection?

My Collection

My Collection #2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information