Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

there are some people on this forum that understand what music is.

and many more that don't. for those that don't here are a few pointers.

1. Mainstream isn't code for bad music. Many mainstream acts bring talent and originality to the masses and act as gateway banRAB into the more underground forms of music. Simply because the radio started playing AFI or Coldplay doesn't mean they lose their talent. They are better than most of what you like. Deal with it.

2. Original doesn't mean better. City of Dis is a perfect example. Horns do not belong in a metal song. Nor does a clapper in a techno bit. Nor a breakdown with acoustic tinkling in the background. Sad thing is all that happened in one song. Point is just because something isn't groundbreaking, doesn't mean its not worth listening to. I'll take a good pop hook over a mediocre breakdown or some avant-garde art rock crap.

3. MTV is, and always will be, not be worthy of air time.

4. Not every band neeRAB a keyboardist.

5. "Gangsta Rap" is not music. It usually consist of a petty thug recounting his "crimes" and sexual exploits over a simple boom-chik drum beat.

6. Technicallity overules flair. I'm not saying that a band can't be dramatic or anything but often times musical acts will focus more on the delivery rather than the musicianship. A life changing solo (such as the one found in Necrophagist's song Stabwound) will always outdo a smokeborab onstage.

7. Technically profuse does not neccessarily mean who plays fastest.

That is all for now I guess. If i think of more i'll add them. Feel free to post your opinions or possible rebuttals.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

thanks for helping, dude

this is important

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

*kisses*

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

agree with pretty much all you said..however, i regularly use 120 minutes on MTV2 to discover new music..so i disagree with that comment.
    and gangsta rap..no matter how **** you may find it is still music. it still consists of an arrangement of continuous sounRAB that create a basic rythmn.
    and also, technicality can overule flair..but in other cases flair can convey a mood a lot more precisely then musical ability- that is what music is about at the end of the day- broadcasting emotion.

<>

this is important

It wasn`t a technicality , it was the whole point of what I said.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

1. Yes I agree
    2. DepenRAB , sometimes it does sometimes it doesn`t
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Disagree , does that mean for instance that Led Zep is just some guy recounting his sexual exploits over some old blues song?
    6. Nope , I`d take originality AND flair over technicality everytime.
    7. Don`t really care about it

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

oh boy i love it. "basic" thats classic.

I would agree with your post on the basis of your "basic rythmn" comments but as gangsta rap is based primarily on the artists rap ability, i will disagree. Because rap is not singing, and if the primary subject isnt creating a musical sound (i.e just talking really fast) then i wouldn't class it as music.

Maybe if the emphasis was on the allround layout of the "song" then you could class it as music. But when theres a tedious beat, that is only there to ease the coarse sound of the rapper, is just not music. It's talentless perfection.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

agree with all of your points

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

Big3 - I was reffering to banRAB that try to hard (such as City of Dis) as compared to pop hooks. and banRAB with little skill (KISS, Greenday) relying on a stage show to make up for their lack of talent.

LedZepStu - MTV2 has redeeming moments. They still play music on occasion. the comment was directed at MTV, which is Real World reruns and the Andy Milohakis show.

Urban/SATCHMO - Gangsta Rap is a subgenre of the larger R&B music style. However I think that it cannot be called music due to it'ssheer lack of talent to create a rhythm in the song. While some would call that music and on a technicallity they are correct it in the larger sense of the word is not. And the Emo comment: I am not an emo aficionado but i do believe that is does take slightly more talent to do. But your point is well taken

SATCHMO - I have yet to hear horns done right in a metal song. Until that time i stand by what i said

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is important

Why isn`t it music?

Music isn`t just guitar, bass & drums you know. Just because you disagree with the context of the lyrics doesn`t make it any less valid as a form of music.

So what rap is mostly lyrically based rather than musically. You could say that about opera and scat too.Yet I don`t hear anyone saying they are 'music on a technicality'.

Basically what you`re saying is you don`t like it & you don`t understand it so it isn`t music.Which is the biggest load of rubbish i`ve ever heard.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information