I have a 1999 Mazda 626 with almost 190,000 miles and this weekend I had the check engine light come on (code P0305). It has a few other problems like CV joints that make noise when I turn, air-conditioner is broken, and some of the fluids have been leaking. I am now guessing that this check engine light is due to a problem with cylinder misfire and I researched that it could be a dead catalytic converter because I did get that rotten egg smell.

I bought the car new and have owned it all along with the loan paid off. Ladies and gentlemen, is this it? If I drop a few thousand dollars fixing all the problems, can I hope to get some more life out of it or if I should simply say goodbye and donate it to a charity? I know it has a lot of miles on it and that is why I am terrified of putting much money because what if something else breaks down? Please give me your thoughts so that I can decide. I am not financially pressed and can buy a new car but the thought of having a payment of hundreds of dollars each month is scary you know with all the depressing news out there.