Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unlocking a G1 with a Tmo SIM?

Hi-- does anyone know how to unlock a G1 if it's already registered to my Tmo IMSI? In other words, I want to unlock my phone with the code I have here WITHOUT putting in a non-Tmo SIM. Sorry if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find such info on here or XDA with the search tool.

I believe once you put non-Tmo SIM Card in certain action is initiated to display the message NO VALID SIM CARD or whatever the message is that pops up.
    Therefore, you may wanna think about getting ATT prepaid card, putting it in and unlocking the phone with the code.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I don't want to give those bush-supporting, privacy-stealing devils my money, but I'll think about. Thanks for the help Netty.

How about stealing an ATT prepaid card then...lol, just kidding!

I think they're like gift cards, the pre-paid SIMs don't work until an employee activates them.

lol, so u were going to rob? hahaha

If I were you, I would ask 1 of my friends/colleagues @ work to use thier sim card for a minute. If u r a good guy (like me, lol), they'll trust you (for a minute)...

Alternatively, you can give me the code to unlock mine... I promise, I will let you know if it works...lol

(Okay, enough sarcasm for the day... I rest my case)

That raises an interesting point: how can an unlock code be banned if the Tmo network can't be contacted right away? If you boot your phone into safe mode, mess with the APN settings, then switch the SIM card and do the unlock, there's no way the phone can report back, unless it's done with a really sneaky SMS or some such secret squirrel stuff. I think we should try it.

Thoughts?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob, don't understand -- are you on Tmo now? They're sending me an unlock code. Free, of course. Clearly I'm missing the point... which is? Thanks

If you receive a free unlock code from tmobile you can just type it in and it will unlock the device WITH having the T-Mobile SIM Card in the phone.

To my understanding... each unlock code will only work with the phone number (Reason being each unlock code is unique to the IMEI #). So "your" unlock code will not work on "my" phone... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

so no need to "ban" a code, since it is a strict 1-to-1 relationship

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information