Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Kermode

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

I saw Mark Kermode on BBC Breakfast this morning (plugging his new book). But he seems to have changed somewhat, become more animated and a bit excitable - was he always like this?

I don't really care much for professional movie critics these days but Kermode's a funny one. I really like him (not entirely sure as to why) , I don't always agree with his opinions but I do have a lot of respect for his knowledge,especially in regarRAB to the horror genre. oh, and he's all in favour of more male nudity in films.

Anyone have any views on Mr. Kermode.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

He should ditch the quiff and the 1950's fetish.

He's intelligent and amiable but he's sooooooooooo long-winded and doesn't know what a brief film review is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

I don't know why some people are against Mark Kermode. He is one of the best film critics around at the moment. Apparently Kermode is being lined up to replace Joanathan Ross to front the 'Film 2010' series on BBC1 later this year, that will be really good to see and we will finally get an honest, professional review of each new film coming out

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

He is appearing at the GFT cinema in Glasgow City Center this Tuesday.He is going to be talking about his book.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

When he comes on I switch off. I don't know why, he just has that effect on me.

Regarding film 2010 I would rather they did something completely different and totally reboot the whole thing as it's been the same in decades. Why must we have one host?
    In America you had a pair of critics called Siskel and Ebert. One would review a film and then they discuss it afterwarRAB.

Below is a link for a clip 4:16sec of their review of Silence of the Lambs. It got compared to Henry, portrait of a serial killer of all things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUWjF...eature=related

I would like to see two people discuss it one being significantly older than the other and one male one female. Ideally the woman being Mariella Frostrup.

If people have seen "Hold the back page/Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement" the Sunday football review show on Sky where they get a few sport journalists around a table
    That would work. Make the show an hour and get 3 or 4 movie critics from newspapers and movie magazines around a table.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

Some might suggest he is rightly angry about female depictions is films like Transformers (especially the second one). Glad someone is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

Kermode is ace! I loved his video review of Transformers 2, shown on the Breakfast TV interview.... just him banging his head against various hard surfaces

As for him in the Film2010 etc. series, why the hell isn't he doing it already, Ross is pathetic on it. I'm glad Ross is buggering off of the BBC if only to get him off of this show.... but that's another thread I guess.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

I actually quite like Film 2010's format, apart from the personal opinion bit. Showing film clips, industry news and interviews etc is fine. Even saying "I didn't like it" or "Not my cup of tea" or "I thought it was good" is fine. But to step beyond that into "This film is good/no good", and the reason is "I did/didn't like it and my opinion is what counts", that's when it all goes pear-shaped.

Oh and oddly enough, I really like the Sunday Supplement footy prog too (Hill hasn't been involved for years, thank god). But then it's more of a discussion programme, not one person telling you what to think. I think the format could work for a film programme too, but I'd still like to see a clip show like Film2010 running as well.

RegarRAB

Mark

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

I agree, I remember when Jonathan Ross was first selected as the new host of the BBC's Film series I was gob smacked because he's supposed to be a comedian, not a film critic

Kermode will give us all a much greater, more varied view of each new movie, detailing all the good and bad points about each title. I bet the ratings will go up when Kermode takes over.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark Kermode

I have no idea what he said about women's depictions in these films and agree that they do get used badly in these type of films but let's be fair these kind of films are dumb anyway so to get worked up about it is rather silly.

It's the old can there be a female or black Doctor Who thing? People say no you can't because it's wrong, stupid it is impossible and can't happen etc. They can accept a person travelling aroind in a time machine. They can accept a person not dying and regenerating. They can accept when the person regenerates their skeletal form shrinks (Troughton & McCoy) and grows ( Davison & Tennant) but skin to change colour or a gender change. That's impossible!

People go to films like Transformers and their like for the SFX and car chases not for role models and social commentary. It makes more sense to target drama, thrillers, comedies and particularly horror films than films that live and die on big budget SFX and action sequences.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information