Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sherlock Holmes in animation

The upcoming release of the Sherlock Holmes movie has me wondering, what are some notable depictions of Sherlock in animation? I just watched the Bravestarr eps "Sherlock Holmes in the 23rd Century" where Holmes was sent into the future (and gained electrical powers as well), and there was also the cartoon Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century (more futuristic holmes stuff). I think there was also an appearance or parody of him in a looney tunes cartoon, any other depictions?

He and Wattson guest starred in the Batman: The Brave & Bold episode "Trials of a Demon."

There was also the japanese adaption, Sherlock Hound.

How come it took three posts to mention Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective"?

Because technically, that's not Holmes. A rather close facsimile whose inspiration is meant to be obvious, but still not Holmes. If we wanted to rule in those close-calls, then I think we'll be here for a whole lot longer.

The Mr. Magoo classics cartoons did a Holmes story where Magoo played Watson. I'm also vaguely remembering an older Looney Tunes cartoon where Holmes had a cameo (and no, it's not the Daffy Duck "Dorlock Homes" looking for the Shropshire Slasher).

To be fair, Great Mouse Detective could be termed a Holmes spinoff of sorts - I don't know if it was ever mentioned in the film, but in the original book he lived on Baker Street (it was even in the title: Basil of Baker Street), which is a clear nod to the Doylevese.

The Looney Tune with a Holmes cameo was Great Piggy Bank Robbery. Wouldn't be surprised if he was in others though.

I've seen what appear to be straightforward animated adaptations of the Conan Doyle stories in my local video store. Dunno who made them.

Also, this.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sherlock Holmes himself (and Watson) actually shows up for a few seconds in The Great Mouse Detective.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the human Holmes and Watson had a brief cameo in the Disney film.

In the first episode of the anime Detective Conan (or Case Closed) the main character describes his interest in Sherlock Holmes (in which a picture is shown onscreen), plus in the threatrical movie "The Phantom Of Baker Street" Conan and his friends test a computer simulation game of a Sherlock Holmes case in which Moriarty and Holmes appear.

I saw that one. I especially like the Missing Bride episode. That was romantic. If this movie fans out well, maybe they will do an animated series based on the movie like they did with "The Mummy." Wouldn't that be cool?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information