Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Stacie18

Precious (based on the novel Push) - Life is hard. Life is short. Life is painful. Life is rich. Life is....Precious

I read the book and saw the movie. Both were equally amazing. Definitely Oscar worthy.

lynaem

Precious (based on the novel Push) - Life is hard. Life is short. Life is painful. Life is rich. Life is....Precious

just got from seeing this, OMG, it rare to see a movie nowdays that takes such a risk the Precious did. You go through some many emotion, in such a short time. Amazing performance by the newcomer Gaby, and
    Mo' nique i can see why she is winning so many awards.

If Avatar win the Oscar over this I'll be pissed off.

I'd love to see Gaby and Mo'nique win Oscars for Precious , although I think Sandra will probably get, but made will be plesently surprise

amusic20

I'm so happy she won! Though I'm definitely not surprised, seeing as there was no competition whatsoever -- IMO, hers was the best performance in all categories of the whole year.

Lennie1984

Monique got a golden globe for her role

DreamOn777

Just saw it.Honestly,going into it,I wasn't that excited.Being a film buff,I try to go with my roomie to see all the films each year that get awards buzz.She said we had to see this one and I agreed.

But I actually really enjoyed it! It's definitely not a 'cheerful put a smile on your face' movie :lol: I thought the directing was REALLY interesting.Took lots of chances,not sure if I liked them all but it's nice to see a director go all out every once in awhile.

Sure,you've seen the story before but I actually thought what made it work here was how it wasn't just some uplifting film.It's not like everything just turns out ok.Is it my favorite film of 2009? No.But I will say that the performances were AWESOME.

Gabourey did an awesome job.And I was actually amazed how much I liked Mariah Carey.Normally,I just find her kind of blah but she gave a very real and honest performance.But my favorite performance for sure was Monique's.She was OFF THE CHARTS.I loved the last scene of the film with her,Mariah Carey,and Gabourey.That scene was so powerful...I was just bawling and honestly,I think it was because of how good Monique's performance was.Even though she was a monster,she didn't turn into this two dimensional character.It really made you so sad.

Lennie1984

Def going to see it when its released in the UK in January

BreanBamonFan

i still have to check this movie out! congrats them on their nomations! =D

Lennie1984

I am glad this movie is getting nominations esp Gabi and Mo'Nique

Lennie1984

Thanks for the review

mukooh

i saw 'precious' today in a theater....as i said in my prior post to this thread...one of the reasons i wanted to see the film was to see what the "hype" was about......now i've never let that or bad reviews keep me from seeing or not seeing a movie....i've always been adventurous and inquestive...i've seen many a film without knowing anything about them....sometimes i've seen some wonderful films....and sometimes i haven't been so lucky......what i'm really looking for in a film is something new, different and fresh...something i haven't seen before.......that's why i enjoyed 'antichrist'......although it was extremely violent and hard to watch at times....even the people i know that saw it and called it "trash" kept on watching it, just to see what would happen.......

which brings me to 'precious'.....alot of the things i've seen in this film i've seen in many other films...a child sent to a special school...a group of misfit kids who somehow "fit" with each other...the kindly grandmother...the concerned teacher, the drug addict hiv father....one bad diaster after another happening to the protagonist....etc etc...and some of the acting by the "mother" was so over the top it was almost sterotypical as to what a bad mother would be like......probably the thing that i noticed the most about the film was when "precious" steped out reality and into fantasy...i thought the film would have been more effective if had been told in a more straight forward manner....i see hundreds of films a year, so i'm hard to impress and "jaded" as to what i think a great film is....i thought 'precious' was a an ok film.....in the end i didn't feel as though i'd wasted my time or money seeing it....and i'm sure many others would tend to like it more than i did...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information