Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Back pain: Stomach or Muscle/Nerve Problem?

Hi there,

I've had episodes of the following approximately twice a year for the past 12 years. Nothing happens at night. It's during the day that I get some pain in my upper back. It evolves during the day to the point where I can't move much with spasms in the back. If I lie down, I can find a position that is somewhat comfortable. Anything that requires moving to the side, like lifting my arms is giving pain. When I need to get up, I need to be supported under my arms otherwise I feel like my whole rib cage is going to collapse.
    The last episode I had on Monday specifically freaked me out as the pain was pretty sharp in my back and my stomach (or diaphragm? who knows?) went into contractions/spasms toward the front between the highest point between the ribs. It was out of control.
    On the stomach side, all seems good. No blood in stool. No loss of appetite, etc. I was nauseous couple times but no vomiting. I did freak out and have a tendency to anxiety attacks...
    On the back side, my husband gave me a massage and that was heavenly. He said it looked like I was pretty tense on the left side.
    Previous times when I had access to pain killers quickly, the pain would go away in couple hours. The last time, it did not work. I spent one day in bed feeling miserable unless completely still. The next day was much better though and could take care of myself. Sometimes a weird position will trigger some discomfort in my back (on the upper left side). When I try to massage my back today, it seems to help but I can't touch the "epicenter". It seems to be buried further deep...
    The other weird part that always confuses me is that there is some belching at some point. And it tends to relieve pain a lot. My ribcage seems to flatten. But it's temporary.
    I'm always going back and forth between a stomach problem or a back/muscle problem. Symptoms are confusing and I don't know if there is belching because I freak out or if the wind in my stomach is a symptom of an ulcer or hernia that would go through my diaphragm and pull on my back muscles...?
    I have had ultrasounds, upper GI, lower GI, blood tests for H. Pylori and all is normal (right after last year's episode). I have not had an endoscopy though.
    What should I do. I'm ready to go see my PCP but I don't know which way the discussion should go.

Thank you for your help!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Back pain: Stomach or Muscle/Nerve Problem?

Hi There, sorry to hear you are in so much pain with this...Its just a thought, but could it possibly be a touch of sciatica??...I have heard of these symptoms before as my brother suffered with sciatica for years, and also had the stomach cramps and belching too, this was due totan excess of acid building up due to the stress of the pain he was in and also getting himself all tensed up to cope with the pain...I hope this helps, and that you get to the bottom of it very soon.
    Kind Regards
    Tracy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information