Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

.::Notice About Flashes and Rom's::.

If you upload and post a flash or rom for PocketPC or PDA, please expect others to download it, flash phones, and resale them as either Cricket branded handsets, or Cricket flashed fully functional phones.

I don't know any other way to put it, other than people on a public internet forum WILL steal your work, place their name on it, and sell it to make a profit.

If you are willing to post your Flash/Rom and are aware that someone else could resale it, then by all means go ahead and post it. This is your warning, please do not complain when you find your flash being sold on ebay or craigslist.

Howard Forums is a place to share knowledge and help others, but as anything else on the internet, there are people waiting to take advantage of someone elses work.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If Helmi's not complaining, I really don't think any of us have much right to. Besides, if one of the community's ROMs shows up on CraigsList, we have enough support to have it flagged/removed in a timely fashion.

It sucks to not get your credit where it's due, so ROM makers need to be sure to start tagging their handles or names into their ROMs somewhere discrete. I like how Amoamare did it in his ROMs--upon first boot, the owner information was set to "Amoamare." So, while someone may still be making a profit from your work, it becomes more difficult for that person to take credit for your work.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What you just said makes perfect sense.

For a while, I was selling a program that I had written for a few bucks on a friend's website. Being dumb, I didn't code any sort of protection into it, so I only made a few dollars before everyone was posting it everywhere. Still, I could deal with that.

It was when I found it on eBay for far more expensive than I was originally selling it for, with a seller claiming that he had written it, that I really got mad. Unfortunately, I also failed to put my name anywhere in the program, so I was never able to prove that I was the author. Lesson learned.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great points guys. I agree but I probably won't be posting many ROMs any more. Will probably still release to a select few people. You know who you are. By chance, has anyone figured out how to truly lock down a ROM or encode it somehow so the author is given credit or some form of security as they do for other software? I think someone asked this in the past.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had an idea for a serial system for ROMs that seems relatively simple to implement. I'll try to find some time to give it a shot over my winter break, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need the help of someone who is better with coding Windows Mobile programs.

If anyone thinks they could provide some assistance for this project, please let me know here, in a PM, via AIM, or however else.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know how much help I'll be but I'm willing to help and try just about anything. Plus I got a Touch coming to me in a couple days.

I'll try to get on AIM sometime soon to chat with you about my idea. I'm sure we could gather some interest from someone over at XDA-Developers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check you PM. I left you a couple numbers to reach me on. I'll be out of town during the holiday. Cell is best way to reach me. I'll have my laptop as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like I've come up with a functional solution for a serial system. When I soft reset my device, I'm unable to do anything except type in a textbox and press an "OK" button. If I don't submit "123456" in three tries, my device soft resets.

Of course, with our system, people will need to type something a little more complex than "123456."

Some ROM bandits are about to get owNT=

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information