Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

"Hardware" Rules At Nokia

From Daring Fireball: http://daringfireball.net/2010/09/nokia_next

Per a former Nokia employee:
    "Here?s the problem: Hardware Rules at Nokia. The software is written by the software groups inside of Nokia, and it is then given to the hardware group, which gets to decide what software goes on the device, and the environment in which it runs. All schedules are driven by the hardware timelines. It was not uncommon for us to give them code that ran perfectly by their own test, only to have them do things like reduce the available memory for the software to 25% the specified allocation, and then point the finger back at software when things failed in the field."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well for those who know this business is not a big notice, normally hardware/software/marketing-GTM teams are independent and because of this sometimes they mess the things up, is not a Nokia exclusive, believe me.

When I become a XX former employee I can write a book with things like this.

This is still a BAD practice and since the mid 90's it should've ended with implementation of workstations in all facets of the business where they can all intercommunicate via some sort of a sharepoint like tool. Sure each team works in projects but they should not be so isolated to one another just waiting for the next step/stage.

I look forward to reading your upcoming book.

they need to use google wave

I'm not surprised. And in some ways still valid. I believe Nokia will sell lots of their lineup this fall and winter season, both ^3 and S60, regardless of the criticisms on the OS. Their current lineup certainly looks very attractive.

yes, this explains a lot. but it doesn't explain why not-fully-baked FW was released to begin with. or why software updates and feature updates take so long after the HW has been released.

Well to a degree it does. If i'm building sw that works perfectly through testing with 256mb of ram then that same sw gets put into a device with 128mb ram, it aint gonna work perfectly. The biggest complaint i've seen with the n97 owners was low memory. Put 256mb ram in that thing and i'm sure there would be a lot of happier campers.

Although its a real problem now, I think the hardware focused development is part of what draws me to nokia. Awesome spec sheets with every feature, a class leading feature like the camera, unique hardware design like the sliders.

Not surprising at all.

Yeah, this isn't surprising. At all.

Maybe Elop changes that culture...or maybe in a year he resigns in frustration 'or takes time off to pursue other interests'.

I just can't see a Microsoft and Silicon Valley guy (ditto w/Skillman, the Palm guy) making any headway inside Nokia.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information