Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Becky P

something in the rear end of my jeep whines but only when i accelerate is it my differential, u-joints, ...?

Powered by Yahoo Answers

sonnie_b
    same problem on my bronco. It would whine while i had the foot on the gas. It was very faint and most could not hear over the tire noise. no one could tell me for sure what the sound was. I had the diff rebuilt by a pro. It fixed the problem. I believe when I replaced the rear pinion seal I may have over or under torqued the pinion nut, causing the ring and pinion to not mesh well.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

Clint M
    Sounds liek a possible bearing issue in the rear end but if you are only hearing it on acceleration and not coasting in neutral or when decelerating via "engine braking" You will most likely find the issue comeing from an incorrect lash adjustment between the teeth of your pinion gear and ring gear in the rear. You'll have to open it up to check that.

I would find a person that is good with rear ends to check it and reset the backlash if that is what it calls for. It usually doesn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks depending on your area and of course if you need new components or not.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

freckles
    my husband works on autos he says it is you differential not the u-jionts u-jionts would squeaks ( my husband has his own bussiness just opened a second garage)

Powered by Yahoo Answers

Ldude
    Not knowing the model year it is potentially one or both gears in the rear axle differential. Sometimes called "the pumpkin" for slang (because of its appearance looking from the outside rear of the vehicle) has two gears; a ring gear and pinion gear. The ring gear typically creates the whine due to wear. Things to check for are: proper fluid level in the rear differential, also see if any metallic particles are present or contamination, such as water (been in the mud or water lately?), then check for clunking during accel and deccal. You mentioned whine during accel but try pushing the gas down and letting up (not to extreme) to see if you hear a clunk. That would indicate a bad fit up (mating) between your pinion and ring gears. The only other thing that comes to mind is the carrier bearings, which support both the ring and pinion and axles that lead to each rear wheel. They can be worn or pitted due to contamination.

U-joints typically clunk or whine only on take off (first accelerating) but w/o hearing it they could be part of the issue as well.

Good luck.