Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Is haloperidol (Haldol) effective at treating anger/agitation?

I'm currently on Abilify 15mg and Trazodone 50mg. However, I have been experiencing episodes of severe anger and have so far broken my guitar, smashed my phone, and punched a wall several times and now my hand is all swollen and probably fractured.

My doctor and I discussed Haldol if Abilify wasn't working well (been on it for about 33 days now), and I just want to know if Haldol is more effective at treating agitation. If not, what medications are known to be good for this? I've tried Thorazine but my blood pressure dropped too low. Clozapine made me sleep too much. Zyprexa didn't work at all.

Anything else?

Thanks for any help.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's really hard to tell unless you detail whether the anger was before or during medication. If you've always had anger issues then anger management is your best bet. Medication won't cure a short temper just like it won't cure some guy of being a douche.

If you get the agitation symptom from all of the medications you've tried, then it's also hard for me to recommend another medication because I don't know the original reason for the medication. Anxiety? Depression? Or just anger?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't really know about Haldol, but if your looking at something else, you might look into Seroquel.
    My doctor had me try it, at 50mg (very very low dose). I only took one before they said to stop, because it was too sedating for me. However, if you are looking for a mood stabilizer/ antipsychotic, it's supposed to be very effective for people who actually need it.
    (The doctor who prescribed it isn't that bright. They didn't test me for anything, just asked about my mental health history. When asked if I had been Dx bipolar, I said it was looked at once, but I don't fit the criteria for bipolar at all. After that, they wouldn't stop trying to give me Seroquel for my "mood swings". I have mood swings, but a sedative is the opposite of what I need).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information