Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

An essay about Anime-Roy Mustang (Anime series/movie SPOILERS)

I published this essay on another forum, but I didn't think it right to put it here. However, the recent events in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga have helped confirm my findings, so I think it the right time to put it here.

"Revenge, the most worthless cause!" -King Arthur, Camelot
    "If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country." -Forster

In the final episode of Fullmetal Alchemist, Flame Alchemist Roy Mustang destroyed Fuhrer King Bradley, the Homunculus Pride, in a pillar of fire. For viewers it is a triumphant moment in the series; the good leader taking down the evil leader. However, when one removes the thrilling epic facade, the scene takes on darker overtones. In a different perspective, Mustang's victory is his defeat. As an Alchemist, a man, and a friend, this act was his greatest failure.
    The basis of this essay comes from the movie Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Sharaballa. Its portrayal of Roy Mustang is of a depressed shell of man, haunted by his actions of the past and unable to conjure his flame alchemy. He attributes this inhibition to remerabering "the innocent people who died because of my mistakes." It's a shocking scene, very contradictory to the happy ending in Episode 51 Laws and Promises, where he seems content with Riza Hawkeye by his side. It has been very controversial. Viewers have complained this portrayal as being out-of-character. What happened to that happy ending with Riza? What happened to his plan to become Fuhrer? 'This characterization is writer's fiat nonsense!' so says the fans (Royai or not). This viewer, however, saw this depiction without the expectations and disappointment. 'Emo Roy' doesn't hurt the continuity. The series gives hints and evidence that shows a natural progression to this movie characterization. This all stems from the assassination in Episode 51.
    Now, this essay does not wish to damper the benefits and advantages of Pride's destruction. It is Mankind's victory over the Homunculi. More important than Alphonse Elric's sacrifice, Mustang sent a mortal blow to Dante and her Alchemy-formed creations by severing their control of Amestris. This essay also means to point out that Roy's action was a necessary move. Unfortunately, it was also a necessary evil. Just because Roy had to kill Bradley doesn't render this action (or more precisely, the motive behind it) as anything but wrong. It was a complex situation, both inevitable and inexcusable. The Flame Alchemist had set himself on a path that could not be shirked nor whose consequences could be escaped.

What to know of Roy? He is a State Alchemist able to control fire. He is also a soldier completely faithful to his country and its military. Unfortunately, this obedience in the Israbroadal war wrecked his soul, as he suffered over killing not only the enemy, but whoever the military considered enemies, like the Rockbell couple. His experiences set him to rise in the ranks, hopefully to the Fuhrership, a status where he won't have to follow stupid orders ever again. Thus he would redeem the army, the country, and himself. In his arabition, he persuaded Edward Elric to become State Alchemist. Throughout, he hid his cunning and skill under a fa

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

An essay about Anime-Roy Mustang (Anime series/movie SPOILERS)

I'm very pleased my essay fit so well with Arakawa's plotline. As much as some fans don't like Roy's behavior in Conqueror of Sharaballa, to have a happy Roy would cheapen the points made in Chapters 94-95. Revenge is a bad thing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information